Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cva optima with their dead on rings. I put a nikon inline xr 3x9-40 300 bdc on it. I got it zeroed in with my old rounds i was using. When i switched to my new stuff it shoots alittle over 7 inches high. I tried to bring it down when it went from shooting great groups to nonexistent ones. Did i max my elevation out, and if so what can i do to fix that.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts

Accuracy = accuracy; and scope adjustment limitations neither contribute nor detract from it.

The POI with your new loads is obviously different than your old loads, and they also maybe nowhere near as accurate a load(s).

It sounds like something's up with that scope's reticle - like maybe the lens that carries the reticle has loosened internally.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Put the scope adjustments back where it was and put your aiming point seven inches low. Now, does it group well? If so, the scope is at fault and you can shim it using this formula-- Amount of shim equals the distance between scope rings (sight radius) time the amount you want the center of impact to move divided by the range in inches.

So if it's shooting seven inches high and a hundred yards and the sight radius is five inches, it's 35/3600= .0097" Close enough to ten thousandths thick shim under the front mounting screws.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts