Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on Elk hunting in the panhandle in unit 4 and unit 6 and was looking for information  on where to start scouting for elk  I do not not expect any honey holes but would like a good starting point thanks for any information anyone could give me                                
Don Schmidt

(Edited by Don Schmidt at 6:53 am on Aug. 12, 2001)

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
If you're looking at unit 4 in the Panhandle, consider looking at the Johnson Creek area just south of Clark Fork.  It's a little rugged in the straight-up and straight down terrain, but there are lots of gated off, or closed logging roads that make accessability very decent, and there are some great bulls in the heavy cover.  Don't expect to get shots much over 150-200 yards, with most being at about 50-75 yards.  From 15 October through 20 October the area is either sex on elk, with bear season open concurrently.  Either sex deer season opens there 10 October and runs until the end of the month.

The Johnson Creek drainage typically has excellent populations of resident elk that never migrate out of the bottoms in the winter.

Hope this helps, let me know what you find!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Beartooth Regular
2,141 Posts
Don,
     Hope you got my message and understood it all right. Are you new to Idaho? Have you hunted elk before? There are pretty good bulls in the panhandle but they are hard to get because of the heavy cover and terrain. Let us know what you decide to do!  ID

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Marshall I think I will do a little scouting in that area it is about 30 miles from my house I have been through that area but never have scouted it out. I would like to find a area in unit 6 to around St Joes or St Maries to scout out. ID Shooter I have lived in Sandpoint for a little over a year and this is the first time I have tryed to hunt Elk  in the panhandle. I have hunted deer in the Soda Springs area and the Montpelier for mule deer there are some big mule deer there I have hunted mule and whitetail around Cottonwood on the high plains and again thanks for the information        
Don

1 - 4 of 4 Posts