1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm kinda new to computers

My father was a Sportsman.
My brothers and I grew up with pump 12ga scatterguns in Upstate N.Y., where they were used for EVERYTHING (c '50's & '60's). I loaded a bizzilion shells on a Mec 600, in High school.

Gone from black powder to handguns lately (45ACP & .41 mag Ruger).

Surfed in from Sixguns.com

Handloading cast bullets now. Naturally since I'm familiar with Red Dot I started up with that again.

I'll pester y'all with lots of questions, okay?
Tks!

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Glad to have you here!

Make yourself comfortable, and enjoy your stay.  Questions is what this whole forum is all about, and there's just an incredible amount of experience represented here to help point you along the way!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Marshall,
Blessings back atcha!

Say, after shooting 60 rounds of "Master" SWC through my BH, There's cruddy lookin' stuff in the barrel, even after cleaning.
Could that be leading?
They seemed lighter than Hunting loads when shooting 'em, but maybe they were faster than I thought?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Welcome aboard Elrod, Pull up a chair and hang around. Lots of good ole boys here on this site.
Yup sounds like leading!! Time to get some measurements on that BH. If you seen that crud before brushing some cast bullet lubes will leave a burnt residue behind that looks streaky like lead fouling. What was your load?
Jim

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jim,
Yeah, it scrubs out with repeated #9. Mostly in the grooves.
I was shooting "Master" factory SWC that felt slightly less vigorous than Win. "Hunting."
I don't yet have a chrono.
Stuff was smokey too. Thing is, pretty hot for any "cowboy" loads.

I'm gonna load some Unique, Red Dot, and 2400, into the thusfar acquired cases, and build up some sub sonic stuff for SWC.
At 4&5/8" barrel length, this will be my plinker, mostly.
Intend to load some GOEX Clear Shot too, for my wife to try. I have a lot of blackpowder stuff around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts