Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Police Officer Retired
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son poured some primed brass 38 special in the tumbler by mistake. I found them and dumped media out. I could see the primer in many though some required some extra persuasion to get Media stuck in the hole. I loaded a couple empty primed hulls in my Taurus 605 revolver and they fired no problem. But the cylinder was difficult to open as the primer was pressed back against frame behind the cylinder. This happened both times I fired an empty, primed hull. Question: is this indication I should not complete loading these primed rounds ? Never saw a primer go backwards .

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,161 Posts
There was no pressure from a load to push the case backwards and shoving the primer back in, happens all the time thattaway.

RJ

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,113 Posts
Yup - A loaded cartridge has energy to drive the case (including primer back against the frame of a revolver which retains the primer in the case. Firing an empty case with only te primer results in no pressure on the case and all of the primer compound pushing against the case body (except the amount that goes through the flashhole). This causes the primer to protrude from the case and smack against the revolver frame.

·
The Shadow
7,888 Posts
Thanks so much. So I can complete loading these primed rounds?
Unless you've found a tumbling media that is small enough to get down the flash hole, rumble and breakup the compound under the anvil; and make off in the dead of night 😉😆

I would load them.

Cheers

·
Registered
347 Posts
If I did this, I would de-prime and start all over.

Since you obviously are not interested in doing such,
I suggest you mark all with a colored felt tip pen,
for range work only designation.

Reactions: jimboro

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
If I did this, I would de-prime and start all over.
A year and a half ago, I would have said that also. For .38 Special practice loads these days, lock and load :)

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I have done that in the past and noticed no ill effects how the ammunition performed.
I don't recommend it but you should be fine.

·
Registered
Police Officer Retired
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many thanks.Given the scarcity of primers I think these are target use only.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts