Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I slugged the bore on my EMF 1858 Remington Replica and was surprised to find the slug measured .460 which is way oversize for a 454 ball.  The cylinder chambers are smaller than 454, the forcing cone is large and I am concerned that the revolver will be inaccurate.  My only idea to remedy the situation is to replace the barrel.  I have looked at EMF's home page Navy Arms and Uberti, none gave barrel grove diameter.  Any information on the correct size of the barrel will be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Wow!

I don't recall ever running into one of the 1858 Replicas with that large a groove diameter!  How did you slug it?

If it is indeed that large, I would seriously doubt that it will shoot worth sour owl manure.  A return back to EMF would be a mandatory trip for that revolver!  

Let us know how you slugged the gun, as that may give a clue to this puzzle!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used a .454 lead round ball that I expanded to .470 by striking it with a claw hammer.  Placed it on the muzzle and then used a short starter to get it going and finished with a cleaning rod.  I also used a lead like material I had from Brownels to make a cast of the forcing cone and about the first inch of the rifling.  The barrel has seven groves and is somewhat difficult to measure since none are direcly opposite each other but I get .460 as groove diameter. rbcopel

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Did the Cerrosafe cast of the first inch or so of barrel also measure to .460"?

Thanks,

Marshall

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Yikes!

Sounds like that blackpowder six-shooter had best go back wherever it came from and get fixed right!

I surely doubt that it'll shoot nearly well enough to please anyone with those dimensions!

Let us know what happens!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 6 of 6 Posts