Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeap it'll be fine, it has the same diameter base as the 300 and 338 win mags. MGM makes them too. Where you run into problems is with the fat magnums. WSSM's, WSM's and the Ultra Mags give problems in the encore frame. Dave

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Fat magnums and even cases like the 338ME, with its large rim, don't leave enough "meat" in the barrel where it attaches to the frame. You should be able to find a 'smith who will take a standard 270Win barrel and ream it out to 270Weatherby. MGM would probably do the job for you, as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is also a place in Dover, NH called "On Target Technologies" that has a new patented way of cutting chambers. They do it electronically, no machine marks. I have to learn more about the Weatherby chamberings. I know the factory barrels have freebore, I don't know if the aftermarket barrels do and if it is needed anyway. Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
149 Posts
There is also a place in Dover, NH called "On Target Technologies" that has a new patented way of cutting chambers. They do it electronically, no machine marks. I have to learn more about the Weatherby chamberings. I know the factory barrels have freebore, I don't know if the aftermarket barrels do and if it is needed anyway. Any insight would be appreciated.
That is a good question. I have a No.1 in the 270Wby and my hand loads chamber tight.
Did Ruger do a free bore on their Weatherby Cals?

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
I'm wondering if their new way of cutting chambers is capable of cutting the radiused shoulder dimension of the Weatherby cartridge? Without knowing more about their process, I tend to be a bit skeptical...some people say I should have been born in Missouri. :)

·
Registered
722 Posts
That is a good question. I have a No.1 in the 270Wby and my hand loads chamber tight.
Did Ruger do a free bore on their Weatherby Cals?
I am not sure if they did the freebore or not. My Dad used to have a number 1 in 300 Weatherby, and he said the same thing.

Now my model 70 winchester in 270 wby does in fact have the freebore.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the reason some companies won't chamber an encore for the weatherby mags is because they are loaded to 55,000cups instead of the regular 54,000cups that the standard(300win mag,338 win mag, 264 win mag,etc, etc...) magnums are loaded at. Plus like what was mentioned before about the freebore, its my understanding that this also helps in keeping down pressures, so if you put a top weatherby load in a non-freebore gun it could cause pressures over 55,000cups which I imagine is a lot of pressure for a encore(or any break-open single shot) to take over a period of time. An encore, I suspect, will not take the abuse a good strong bolt-action will. Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts