Shooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the world was coming to an end, and you only could carry one pistol with you what would it be?

make, model and caliber

I'm interested in the reasoning for your decision, why you would trust your life with this weapon over and over again.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
My Ruger New Model Super Single Six with both long rifle and mag cyclinders. Will always have ammo and be able to hunt small medium game effectively. Rounds are so quite enough to not draw unwanted attention.

Runner up will be my 1911 with Colt .22 conversion or Smith 4" 66.

CD

·
Banned
397 Posts
A .357 Magnum or a 9MM. You would need to find cartridges
anywhere you went. There would be a shortage so it would
be necessary to find a very common caliber. Having a .22
wouldn't hurt either because there is a lot of .22 rimfire ammo
laying around out there.
Zeke

·
Banned
434 Posts
Any good .45 ACP. It uses a big chunk of lead and very little powder for the power it generates. It will do for small game, self defense and even large game at reasonable distances.

When cases ran out you could make them from .308/30-06/7x57/8x57 etc cases.

I like the Govt model but I've seen some have a few pretty important parts fall off. I like the Glock too but have never fired it in a .45 ACP.

The Springfield Armoury XD-45 looks good but I've never fired one and don't know how it would hold up.

What is the perfect .45 ACP?

·
Inactive account
4,735 Posts
Another vote for .45 ACP and a reliable 1911A1. Probably not one set up for target competition (too tight in the specs) as reliability under the worst conditions would be my primary concern.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
my 38 special,w 4 inch barrel.. why because i can hit what i shoot at ,,with it..i know it real well an the rnd to use in it..also know my limitations with it and what i can do..theres lots of better choices out there possibly,,but this one fits my hands an i don t have the money to experiment to find something better.. slim

·
Inactive account
1,131 Posts
If it's the end of the world....can't see gun choice being a critical issue unless there's a best armed carcuss contest. Usually have a SP101 handy, reckon that would stay my choice in a handgun.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'd want to have my S&W MP40, along with its drop in 357SIG barrel and 9mm conversion kit [custom barrel and 9mm mags]. Lots of ammo availability there...
As backup, I'd also want to have my 1911A1 in .45 along with a .22 conversion kit. And...a good .357 revolver to cover any .38SP I might find.

Yeah, it's cheating...but I own all three guns right now, rather than a wish list...

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,225 Posts
If the end of the world comes, you can quit fantasizing about firearms and Rambo maneuvers. You'll be better served finding a quiet spot out of the mainstream, getting a good book and a libation of choice.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
If the end of the world comes, you can quit fantasizing about firearms and Rambo maneuvers. You'll be better served finding a quiet spot out of the mainstream, getting a good book and a libation of choice.
I'll second that!!!

·
Inactive account
750 Posts
Amen. Parmachenee Lake, ME. Not saying that I won't be bringing an arsenal with me...

·
Registered
5,348 Posts

OK, 4L of libation, Cruzan 151, to be exact.

I'd grab my Stainless Single Six, and my stainless 10/22, and 2000 - 3000 rds of remington Yellow Jacket. I'd put my P22 in a shoulder holster. In a disaster scenario, avoidance is survival, not shooting it out. With a well placed shot, I can kill a moose, and native Americans do that. If I need to, I can lay down a fair fire support action, and run, (at least as fast as a guy with bad knees and ankles). In a situation where total number of shots would likely win, the puny .22LR would be the winner.

·
Premium Member
5,427 Posts
Yes indeed, off the beaten path, not attracting attention...You won't know what gun I have till you are in range.

I'll second that!!!
Third!

Amen. Parmachenee Lake, ME. Not saying that I won't be bringing an arsenal with me...
And shame on you, a NH boy running to the Mainers.....surely ther's a lake up north that could persuade you.:D

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
First of all, if the world as known in the Bible were to be coming to an end, it would not make much difference what type of gun you had period. I would suggest getting down on your knees and pray to GOD ALMIGHTY.........Amen!

On the other hand, to satisfiy your curiosity, I will still be packing my twin Glocks in 10mm caliber!

·
Registered
817 Posts
First of all, if the world as known in the Bible were to be coming to an end, it would not make much difference what type of gun you had period. I would suggest getting down on your knees and pray to GOD ALMIGHTY.........Amen!
Amen brother! If its truly the end of the world I won't need a gun.

Now, if we are talking the end of the world as we know it, I would be much more concerned about laying low and taking care of me and mine. So, the first guns I would take are my 22s. I can pack a lot of ammo in a small space and can harvest any game walking the land around here that I need to eat to survive.

·
Banned
442 Posts
I personally believe food will be the first and foremost problem. That being the case, big game will dissappear rapidly and small game, birds, squirrels, rats ect will be tablefare. I woulds use a pre war Colt Woodsman with a 6" barrel. The reason is I have used them for years and while others will work well, these are hand built from milled steel. No potmetal castings, plastic, or stamped tin parts. This being all steel, it still only weighs 26 ozs.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've got to put my vote for the 45 acp. While I'm sure a 22 cal is good for taking small game and all, I also believe that your encounters are not only going to need to be with the 4 legged creatures of the world. I'm talking about that other guy or group of guys that sees you canteen of water and decids he's going to take it from you. I think a 45 acp will do a better job that a 22 in deterring or protecting me & my family. It has all the stopping power I need to warn off an attacker and yet will stop most table fare with ease.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.