Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 500 s&w mag. i noticed some of you think it is ok to mount an eotech on it. my eotech only has one screw holding it on the rail. will that be enough for this bad boy?? i have a Leupold scope on one of my pistols that im not using but i really like the idea of the eotech. i just dont want it flying back and hitting me in the face

·
Registered
129 Posts
If it broke off due to recoil, it would likely fly "forward" not backward.

I have a Leupold 2X on my 500 S&W and like it very much.

Barstool

·
Registered
316 Posts
My brother broke many red dots on his .480 Super Redhawk, which he claimed recoiled more than his .500 Smith. He settled on dots that have LOW MASS, as it seems they survived the recoil better. The EOtech should be fine, IMHO. Seat it well, Blue-Loctite the nut and push forward as you tighten.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
JD Jones, of SSK Industries, maker of self-professed "hand-cannons" developed a scope mount that is called the "T'***"...and it stands for exactly what you'd think.

The notion of any optic mounted to a 500S&W revolver with but a single screw seems self-evident to me; a bad idea from the outset. Take a look at most of the scopes mounted to very powerful handguns and you'll find they have three, and even four rings, to secure them and improve the life of the scope. I would sooner shoot such a gun with open sights than with an optic secured by one screw.

With all of that being said, I started reading the EOTECH website FAQ's and I kind of doubt it attaches with just one screw. I submit for your review, the picture in the header of the following website.

http://www.eotech-inc.com/productfaqs.php

With a full rail attachment, this unit appears to be secured with 2, or possibly 3, screws. I guess it depends on how your revolver is set up, but even if you can get 2 screws through the sight to secure it, I can't begin to think of this as a good option for a handgun.

·
Registered
316 Posts
"Other applications include medium caliber (.50) machine gun weaponry"... from the above-posted link....

BUT I'm telling you right now that a serious pistol will subject an optic to MORE SEVERE stress than you can possibly imagine, so, with broom_jm's advice in mind - be sure your warranty is up-to-date!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had an Eotech 512 on a .500Smith and it survived just fine on it. I ran a bunch of handloads through it and it was fantastic. It was a little bulky looking, but worked great. The scope itself never came loose, but the mount required locktite. These were not light reloads either.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had an Eotech 512 on a .500Smith and it survived just fine on it. I ran a bunch of handloads through it and it was fantastic. It was a little bulky looking, but worked great. The scope itself never came loose, but the mount required locktite. These were not light reloads either.
Thanks, bc! First-hand experience trumps conjecture EVERY TIME in my book!

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Thanks for the real-life knowledge! How long was your scope base and how many screws were securing the sight to your revolver?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Its been a while, but the scope mount was a rather cheap aluminum mount that required the removal of the rear sight and mounted to the same holes that the rear sight used. It must have been around 4-5" long. If I remember correctly, there is actually an extra mounting screw hole under the rear sight that helps with the mounting of the scope mount which makes the total of three screws. I had mounted a Thompson Center Recoil Proof scope to the same mount and it didnt last a box of ammo. The crosshairs decided to rotate counterclockwise in the tube. After switching to the Eotech, I shot a few rounds through the revolver and noticed the mount had come loose. That is when I added locktite to the screws and remounted the scope base. It didnt come loose again after that. When I sold the revolver, I removed the Eotech and scope mount. The screws were holding well and required a good ammount of effort to loosen. Ive also heard of people using clear epoxy to help hold the scope mount to the revolver. Not on the screws, but a drop or two to the bottom of the scope mount where it contacts the top strap of the revolver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JD Jones, of SSK Industries, maker of self-professed "hand-cannons" developed a scope mount that is called the "T'***"...and it stands for exactly what you'd think.

The notion of any optic mounted to a 500S&W revolver with but a single screw seems self-evident to me; a bad idea from the outset. Take a look at most of the scopes mounted to very powerful handguns and you'll find they have three, and even four rings, to secure them and improve the life of the scope. I would sooner shoot such a gun with open sights than with an optic secured by one screw.

With all of that being said, I started reading the EOTECH website FAQ's and I kind of doubt it attaches with just one screw. I submit for your review, the picture in the header of the following website.

http://www.eotech-inc.com/productfaqs.php

With a full rail attachment, this unit appears to be secured with 2, or possibly 3, screws. I guess it depends on how your revolver is set up, but even if you can get 2 screws through the sight to secure it, I can't begin to think of this as a good option for a handgun.
the two screws you see on the side of the scope are holding the hood on. if you look on the left side of the scope there is one screw between the two screws you are seeing in that pic. i agree only one screw to hook up the scope seems a little cheaply made for such an expenseve scope

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
the two screws you see on the side of the scope are holding the hood on. if you look on the left side of the scope there is one screw between the two screws you are seeing in that pic. i agree only one screw to hook up the scope seems a little cheaply made for such an expenseve scope
Do you know if the entire scope frame is machined to fit the dovetail shape of the base or rail, itself? Perhaps the entire thing slides into place, with the screw simply keeping it from sliding fore and aft? I'm just speculating because I haven't seen one, in person.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts