Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
I don’t remember the thread but you generally see this as a: “SHTF” – stuff hit the fan, or “BOG” - bug out bag or bug out gun.

As a kid in the 1950’s my parents kept water and food available for the day the mushroom cloud appeared over our home town.
In the 1970’s the “survivalist” trend became so popular the mainstream gun magazines had survivalist columns.

Today, with our excessive National debt and our incredible foreign debt we see more and more people convinced our economy is on the verge of collapse.
If you believe this will happen, and it very well could, it will pay to be prepared by having a place outside the urban areas to run to and the ability to live off the land.

·
Inactive for over a decade
1,398 Posts
There is a good book that has been recently published about a similar scenero. Title is "One Second After" and my local library had it on audio CD format. I listened to it while traveling on weekends and was a real eye opener. That came at the books end when the estimated statistics were run through by the books main character.

·
Inactive
2,046 Posts
One Second after was good. Another is Patriots - much more techincal and detailed on self-protection and tactics. The acronym is TEOTWAWKI (The end of the world as we know it. Check out http://www.survivalblog.com/ if you want to know more.

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
For some people, it's not so much TEOTWAWKI, as it is being prepared and knowing how to live "off the grid", and off the land. My wife and I have done some research on what would be different and what would be needed, if the veneer of civilization were to peel off, leaving folks to fend for themselves. Our goal is simply to not be as tied into, or as dependent on, all of the "modern" aspects of life. Part of that is having the resources to defend ourselves and grow/harvest/store our own food. There is something very rewarding and comforting about knowing a few of the old-school skills that people used before you had a fridge in every house, a supermarket in every town and the Internet at your fingertips. Reloading is one of those skills, as is casting your own bullets.

If you ever get a chance to spend a week or more completely isolated from the vast majority of electronic contrivances, I highly recommend you give it a try. It might give you a different perspective on why you have guns and how they might be used, in a worst-case scenario.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Being preparred for the End of the world is kind of like havnig an oxygen tank for when you get to ride your bicycle on the moon. If the world ends how long will any preparations last you?

Being preparrred for a major disaster on the other hand I think is totally reasonable so I gear my prep toward that. First Aid, Shelter, hygene, water, food, the means to protect all from looters. These are important considerations. bugging out and living off the land, could I do it? Sure, I'd like to stay home if home is still there. With the recent earthquakes in the media we should all think about our disaster prep plans. It really is not hard to store up a months worth of rations in vaccum bags in 5 gallon buckets. I know because I've got several months worth squirreled away. Can't see letting the wife and baby starve if the economy tanks or the grounds starts to shake or both. as for the end of the world... if it is mad max time the preparations will likley be blown away so why worry. A sawed off and some leather body armor will be all you can count on. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The first 2 weeks after Katrina was enough of an education for me. I used to think I was prepared until that fiasco. Nothing like real life situations to make major adjustments to your survival state of mind and SHTF bag.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.