Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in mid 60s, purchased a Marlin model 99-M1 (forerunner to the model 60) semi auto for squirrel hunting and it proved to be quite deadly with a scope on it. Most of the years since then, it stayed in a closet. Retired about 6 years ago and took up shooting and reloading again, something I'd enjoyed when young.

OK, once I started shooting the Marlin again, found it to stove pipe quite often. Depended on the brand/type of ammo how often I had a jam to clear. But no matter what I tried in it, rifle stove piped/jammed the spent case on a regular basis. Can't count the times I disassembled the rifle trying different things to solve the problem. About 2 years ago I replaced the feedramp with a newer design one. Fine print on the new feed ramp instructions mentioned I'd need a new design block for it to work, but LOL, the replacement feed ramp cost me about half what I paid for the rifle. Be darned if I'd buy a new block. So, I modified the new ramp and the original block to work with each other. Rifle jammed less, but still happened much too frequently.

Yesterday, I took the rifle apart to have another go at solving the problem and noticed on the feed ramp a couple of wear marks. Dawned on me the only thing that could account for the marks were rim of spent case when block recoiled back. In other words, back edge of spent brass hit ramp before it hit the ejector spring thats suppose to kick out the brass from the action.

A minute or two with my dremel dealt with the part of the ramp hit by the spent case.

Went to range this morning to try the Marlin. 20 plus shots later with regular ammo and some subsonic type, I didn't have a single jam/stove pipe.

So, eureeka!!!!!!! LOL, only took me two or so years to solve the problem.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sweet, my model 60 hasn't ever had a jamming problem. I bought it used in 1986 and it was old then. hehe Still my goto gun for small game. ;) Mine loves CCI Mini-Mag HP's. ;)

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
At one time I owned a Glenfield 60. I'd get about a magazine full thru it and would stop running, clean it and would go again. Finally got my fill and sold it to a co-worker. He claimed to never had a problem with it. I'm guessing should have tried some other types of ammo before giving up on it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yo Huffmanit. We need pic's please. ..I would like to see exactly what your talking about. .
Nothing like a new trick

·
The Shadow
7,888 Posts
Jim....

The thread is 9 years old, and Huff hasn't returned in the last 4 years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts