1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Outstanding! I like all three....trimmer, seater/FCD, and the bullet puller. Good eye, Scott!

Now the mounting system, hmmmm.... it's hard to tell which is the problem. If you watch the video where the loader is seating and crimping, there is alot of flex coming from either the bench or the mounting brackets. Now I know the Challenger press will flex slightly - I own one, but not that much with mild seating and crimping. So, me thinks the problem lies in the other two variables. Not a huge problem, I know, but bothersome to me.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Outstanding! I like all three....trimmer, seater/FCD, and the bullet puller. Good eye, Scott!

Now the mounting system, hmmmm.... it's hard to tell which is the problem. If you watch the video where the loader is seating and crimping, there is alot of flex coming from either the bench or the mounting brackets. Now I know the Challenger press will flex slightly - I own one, but not that much with mild seating and crimping. So, me thinks the problem lies in the other two variables. Not a huge problem, I know, but bothersome to me.
IMO the mounting kit with the breech lock collars are a bit overkill anyway... if you've got quick change dies why swap presses?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I liked that press mounted trimmer. I wonder if it will work on their Classic Cast press or any other non-breech lock press for that matter?
It appears to be standard thread as it was in a BL bushing.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Forster has had their superfast bullet pullers for years that work the same way. They do not come with a container, but a couple of minutes with a plastic bottle will fix that.

The seater/FCD looks interesting, but I'd like to know more about how it works. Does the seating action stop while the collet crimps the case mouth?

The press mounted trimmer seems like a bad idea to me, especially on an aluminum frame press. All those brass shavings have to go somewhere... The last place I want them is in the ways of my press. Interesting take on the "trim dies" from RCBS and Redding.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
IMO the mounting kit with the breech lock collars are a bit overkill anyway... if you've got quick change dies why swap presses?
Well, I suppose you might want to swap for specialty operations. For example, I have a little Lee Reloader press (the little aluminum C-frame) that I use just for decapping. Or if you had a bullet swager or something, or a progressive maybe, I don;t know. I have found though, that since I got the Classic Cast, I never swap presses anymore, even for decapping, so perhaps you're right.

Flashhole, I think Scott is right. The trim die looked like it was screwed into a bushing, so it ought to work in any other press.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Forster has had their superfast bullet pullers for years that work the same way. They do not come with a container, but a couple of minutes with a plastic bottle will fix that.

The seater/FCD looks interesting, but I'd like to know more about how it works. Does the seating action stop while the collet crimps the case mouth?

The press mounted trimmer seems like a bad idea to me, especially on an aluminum frame press. All those brass shavings have to go somewhere... The last place I want them is in the ways of my press. Interesting take on the "trim dies" from RCBS and Redding.
The forster puller is not available in all calibers, and it damages the bullets...it's sort of a factory crimp die in reverse.

I imagine that the combo crimp die adjusts the same as any other crimp/seating die.

I see no problem with the press trimmer as most folks will surely use it on their secondary ss press, and besides it's not a new idea, but i like the fact that it's micrometer adjustable and it chamfers the case like the rcbs three way cutter does. I think it's far more convenient than some other manual type trimmers.

Richard hinted about the combo FC/seating die in modern reloading, but it sure has taken a while to get it right, i guess. It should make a 4 station turret press more useful since one would be able to have a charging die and an (M) die on board and still use a factory crimp.

·
Registered
821 Posts
All three look like good options to me. Agree with Big Jake about the case shavings from the trimmer going on the press may be a problem. The seat/crimp die combination, if it works as advertised, would be great on the Lee Pro 1000 (I'll admit to owning one and liking it) especially as one of the many,( not from me :rolleyes:) complaints on this press has to do with not being able to use the seperate crimp die. Same with the 3 hole turret press. I'll definitly be looking for that bullet puller die. Glad to see new ideas from any and all reloading companys.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All three look like good options to me. Agree with Big Jake about the case shavings from the trimmer going on the press may be a problem. The seat/crimp die combination, if it works as advertised, would be great on the Lee Pro 1000 (I'll admit to owning one and liking it) especially as one of the many,( not from me :rolleyes:) complaints on this press has to do with not being able to use the seperate crimp die. Same with the 3 hole turret press. I'll definitly be looking for that bullet puller die. Glad to see new ideas from any and all reloading companys.
That's the reason i got rid of the pro and got the loadmaster, but i'll bet they won't offer the combo die in pistol calibers, at least not for a long time, and then only if they get a zillion requests for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts