Shooters Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
My dad had taught me how to cut cross cut on a 22 LR to get better expansion ,it did work . I do not do it as often now since now I cast and reload my own ammo. I save the 22lr for now the trap line and some small game hunting.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I had cut the nose off of 22lr to see how they will work out and then the bullet gose all over the place at 20yards. It will work for close range . Also when cut part of the bullet then the weight you start with it will change how the bullet will hit its target .It will be lighter. I cast my own boolits and I adjust my powder for when I shoot light boolits. For factory round you can not do that because do not know what the data on the round. just to give some input on what I have found for my own test.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Some of you might have heard of older guys telling of making cross cuts in lead bullet cartridges. It was supposed to make expansion. Has anybody ever done this in handgun cartridges?

That was popular in the late 40s/50s. I expect many more bullets available now. You can get a bullet to do any job you want it to if you believe the hype.
Reloading was not so popular back then so the knife was subsistuted.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This practice goes way back. Revolutionary War soldiers cut bullets believing they would fragment. Even drove nails, tacks through balls to make nastier wounds. These of course were fired from smoothbores as these modifications would dramatically alter the flight of a ball from a rifled barrel. To make the smoothbore a shotgun,molten lead was poured by droplets into a water bucket making small teardrop shaped shot called “Swan shot”. The wadding used to hold it was none other than a Wasp Nest.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bear Bio-- DumDum arsenal was said to have used a pig-based grease in their paper 'cartridges' that required the troop to bite the end off to start the process of loading. The muslims found out about it and that's what started the Sepoy mutiny.
Or, that was the version of history I was taught by reading it somewhere.
Ive heard that as well, along with the flip side of that, I heard that a rumor was started by someone that said they used cow based grease to piss off the Indians. (as the story was told to me, Muslims started the Cow grease rumor to counter the Pig based rumor.)

My friend and I used to drill out the hollow points on our 22lr to "make them expand faster and more explosively". It did seem to work a little bit as woodchucks shot with our expanded hollow points had larger holes in them than the woodchucks we shot with the undrilled normal hollow point ammo.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts