Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another thread on here got me to thinking about nice guns. That thread is about an original Low Wall in pristine condition for sale on Gunbroker. Looking at it, it truly is a work of art and craftmanship. If you owned something like that would you take it out and shoot it much? Would you hunt with it at all? I myself am a shooter and a hunter. I have good quality guns and shoot them a lot. A couple of years ago I decided I wanted a lever gun in 45-70 and started looking for one. After buying a couple of 45-70s made in Italy that had functional problems and getting my money back, I found a NIB Winchester/Miroku 1886 for sale and bought it. I soon realized the chamber was too short to allow it to shoot heavier bullets so I took it to Turnbull's and got the throat reamed out to their specs. Unfortunately, while I was there I looked at their guns for sale on the wall and the CCH guns looked like candy to a kid in a candy store. I had them keep the gun and CCH it as well as lengthening the throat. In addition to that, I had them mount a Skinner rear sight on it and then had the Skinner sight CCH'd also. When it was all said and done, I had a beautiful looking gun without a single mark on it handed back to me. Now when I take it out to shoot it at the range I don't even like to sit it down in case I get a mark on it. All my other guns have "memory marks" on them from being used even with reasonable care. No matter how careful you are, sooner or later some little mark will end up on a gun being used. At this point I don't rally enjoy shooting it as much as I thought I would. I just know it's a matter of time before something marks it up. Anyone else own something like this? Do you hunt with it and shoot it much, or does it just become a safe queen?

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
A couple that come to mind.

Ruger #1I bought used. It shows some wear from honest use but if it was new I'd have reservations taking it outside much less hunting.

Another is a model 70 featherweight made in 1953.I can really understand why they were called the "Riflemans rifle". It has a scratch and a couple dings in the wood from the previous owner, but the metal is pristine.

A smarter man would leave them home but I have no safe queens. Every gun I own was bought to hunt and shoot with.

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
You got yourself some bad trouble there nsb. The neighborly thing for me to do to help you out is to break it in for you.

Now then. How do you want to go about the shipping?

Best regards,
Cheezywan

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have this one it's an unfired 1976 Rem 700 in 22-250, the walnut and bluing are flawless and they action is silky smooth, it was made when they took pride in there craftsmanship topped of with an original 6X18 Redfield

Dean

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
Yep, I have. Decided to use them anyway and take the best care of them that I could in the field. Now I have a story for kids and grandkids to go along with each ding in the stocks.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've never owned anything too nice to shoot period but have had some that I wouldn't take afield. Generally if I want a nice gun that I'd be afraid to ding or scratch I wait to buy one that's already seen some field use and has a few dings in it already. That way I can own and use something that's well made without the fear of it getting a few scratches on it in the field.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yes, I have full Mannlicher stock CZ in 30-06. I bought it to be a shooter, but I didn't count on it being too pretty to risk scratches. Never brought it outside....

Bayou52

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

Naw - Actually, I hunted for over 20 years with various Hi-Grade's: A .45-70 Browning (1886), A likewise .45-70 Winchester M-86EL, A Winchester 94 Canadian RR 100th Anniv Commemorative .32 Special, A 50th Anniversary .45-70 Ruger #1, A 12GA BSA SxS, And a 28ga Anniversary engraved/inlaid Ruger Red Label.

They all gave me the pleasure of looking/fondling, during those quiet times that sometimes arise during a hunt.

When I moved them on, they were in the same condition as when I bought them new.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I owned a custom Kleingunther 25-284 that was a beautiful rifle. I found myself pampering it so much that ownership really was too much for a hunting rifle. It would have been great if a person wanted to make a statement while at an upscale hunting lodge. Since I own the land I hunt on, and not much on making statements, I sold it and went back to my trusty 257 Roberts or 7-30 Waters. These are nice rifles and well card for, but they are hunting rifles best suited for my needs. JMO ,

·
Registered
774 Posts
I almost bought a Dan Wesson revolver back in the 80s that came in a wooden box that also contained 10 gold plated bullets. I declined knowing that I would load those gold bullets and shoot them.

I have also lusted after the Winchester John Wayne commemorative 32-40 rifle. I want one to shoot and the price was just too steep. I would still like to find one that has been used and no longer has collector value.

I guess I have never had a gun too nice to use.

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
A man won this gun in a raffle and asked me if it was meant to be shot. I told him I'd already shot more than a brick of assorted 22LR in it to zero the sights and 'testing'. Why not.

I have a Hoffman .375 worth twice my truck and several shotguns that could buy a house and I shoot them all regularly. Guns are made to be shot and hunting rifles should be hunted with.
This is my Whelen that's nearly 40 years old and has hunted more than half of them by backpack or horseback in all kinds of weather.

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have more rifles than I really need and can use, some are full customs, some semi customs and a few custom shop rifles. They all get used except one in 505 Gibbs that has been used once on game and very little load work. It's a CZ 550 custom shop with Exhibition grade wood, rust blueing , barrel band sling swivel, lapped barrel and lugs and jewelled bolt.
I used it in Africa, but doubt it will be used again, unless I go to Africa again, but it's getiing more and more expensive every month with their new 'taxes' on overseas hunters.
Cheers.
:D

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have just 4 rifles, each one bought for hunting, and all with some small "reminder" mostly on the stock. I reckon if people can take a $200,000 double rifle to hunt in Africa I can take mine out for an armed bushwalk.
John

·
Registered
77 Posts
Can't say that I do. I have a couple of spots where I chase seaducks that I don't take my finer shotguns, but that is more because scampering around seaweed and periwinkle encrusted rocks with a 30 foot tide has seen more than a few hunters lose their gun. A used pump gun lost to the sea is easier to accept than something costing more.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,561 Posts
Yes, until the horse I was riding fell on it. Now it has character.

RJ

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
I have the intention of using every gun I've ever purchased and using them all to hunt with. One rifle in particular comes to mind however. A Browning A-Bolt Custom Trophy (30/06) I purchased that had high gloss blue, high grade walnut, custom engraving with gold inlay and an octagonal barrel. I swore to myself 3 or 4 years in a row that I was going to get it sighted in and hunt with it on opening day of rifle season in Tn.

Never happened! I got so disgusted with myself I traded it for another nice rifle that I then used to kill a Tn buck the first time I took it hunting that year. Miss that Browning? Only when I see one for sale now, some 10 years later...LOL! I now use several rifles and shotguns worth more than that Browning cost me, but just couldn't seem to break that one rifle in and traded it still unfired.

Reactions: MontyF

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
Yes, until the horse I was riding fell on it. Now it has character.

RJ
Speaking of character your horse deal reminded me of a time dad and I was hunting antelope. We were on opposite sides of a hill. Heard dads -06 go off three times and started to walk over where he was. Around the hill come a small bunch of antelope with a decent buck which i took. I started field dressing him when dad arrived and told me to get the pickup and he'd finish the goat. I came back with the truck and started backing up to load the animal when i heard him shout for me to stop. Got out and asked whats the matter?

He yelled, "You just backed over my rifle!"

As he picked it up and started to examine the rifle I asked, "Did I hurt it?"

How the F would I know, I can't seem to hit anything with it anyhow.

A final note about this gun, dad passed away 13 years ago and the Remington came to me. I still have that 760 and it shoots fine. Thank God for thick grass and soft ground.

Yeah it has character too!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I like purdy guns too, but I don't buy anything I can't shoot. So all my guns get shot and cared for, but some get maybe a little more TLC.

A lever gun worked over by Turnbull is on my wish list...lots of case hardened steel, etc. Maybe as a retirement gift for myself.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have some guns that others have said 'I can't believe you hunt with that'. My reply, they weren't made just to look good.

My Grandfather's 30 Winchester (aka 30-30) 1906 date of manufacture.

One of my 25-06's.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts