Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on getting cast bullets to shoot through all my Blackhawks .357 , .44 and .45.. I'm using bullets cast from 12-18 BHN. Unfortunately some of my cylinder throats are over sized.432, .359, .454. I have bullets sized the correct size but if I jam them into a case that is sized say .356 (the measured size of my 38/357 expander) will I loose the benefit of the over sized bullets?? Would it be worthwhile to get the Cowboy expanders from RCBS?

james

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,137 Posts
Suggest the Lyman "M" die to swage out the case for the cast loads.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I've researched the M dies and honestly do not see a benefit to them because they are set up for nominal expansion just as my RCBS are. So if I am thinking this through correctly with the M dies my bullet will be more concentric in the case but will still be squeezed down to nominal specs by the case .356 in the case of the .357 magnum. Unless I machine a new plug for the die from a larger one, to the specs that I need for each of my special case Blackhawks, which would be great if I had a Lathe. I suppose my gun smith might turn them down for me. Or do I even need to worry about hard cast being squeezed down to a smaller diameter during seating?

Thanks

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,748 Posts
You won't squeeze them down to any great extent. An undersized expander is better than an oversized expander, when it comes to full-power loads and slow powders. Much better grip on the bullet.

Just have to ensure that there is enough flair on the top so that the bullets don't get shaved down when being seated.

Forget about machining the standard "M" die plugs. They are as hard as a banker's heart. Easier to make new ones out of drill rod and harden them. Fun little project if you have a lathe and the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts