Shooters Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,515 Posts
All he needs to add is Tin to get what he needs. I shoot 16 to 1 alloy in a 45/70 and 38/55 and have zero leading problems at the speeds he's loading to.
Yep.

RJ

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I guess I'll just use standard clip wheel weights. The hollow points will probably get a little expansion. The old timers used this mold a lot for hunting. I've read Skeeter Skelton articles and it was one of his favorites.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I guess I'll just use standard clip wheel weights. The hollow points will probably get a little expansion. The old timers used this mold a lot for hunting. I've read Skeeter Skelton articles and it was one of his favorites.
If you have them, use the tape weights, these are soft lead. Then get some 50/50 bar solder, you can buy this locally at a plumbing supply company. Use anywhere from a 10 to 1 and up mix. Makes some real purdy bullets (much better than plain clip weights) and will not lead your barrels.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
No, pure lead with a gas check will lead like no tomorrow. Way too soft. I tried it with 4 grains of Bullseye (Lyman's 43rd) at 950 fps. Dad's Security Six and I got really well aquatinted while I was scrubbing it out. You want #2 alloy minimum.

RJ
disagree, size is king

·
11,515 Posts
disagree, size is king
Just my experience as a young bullet caster and I was using pure lead acquired from the local plummer and from recycled batteries that I was casting round balls and maxi balls with. Gas checked and sized to .359 for a true and honest .357 bore.

You do what you want with pure lead, I tried it once and it didnt turn out so well.

RJ

Reactions: roverboy

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've got a pound or so of 50/50 bar solder I got at a scrap metal yard. Thanks

·
Registered
818 Posts
disagree, size is king
In Elmer Keith's reloading manual , "Sixgun Cartridges and Loads" he warns NOT to use pure soft lead bullets in Magnum and heavy revolver loads as they are soft , deform and actually raise pressures to a dangerous level ... he recommends a alloy of 1 lb. tin to 20 lbs. Lead (1 / 20 ) for all light and normal pressure loads .
It's not leading with pure lead bullets but an increase in pressure that might be problematic .
Size is also important too .
Gary

·
Super Moderator
13,624 Posts
Keith later wound up switching from 20:1 to 16:1 lead:tin, IIRC. BHN around 12 or 13. Pure lead is BHN 4.5, again, IIRC.

Reactions: roverboy

·
11,515 Posts
Linotype is what he used, 17-2-1, 85% lead, 10% antimony and 5% tin.

Mostly Charlie got tired of cleaning the lead out of the barrels of Elmer's 🤢 revolvers.

RJ

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
In Elmer Keith's reloading manual , "Sixgun Cartridges and Loads" he warns NOT to use pure soft lead bullets in Magnum and heavy revolver loads as they are soft , deform and actually raise pressures to a dangerous level ... he recommends a alloy of 1 lb. tin to 20 lbs. Lead (1 / 20 ) for all light and normal pressure loads .
It's not leading with pure lead bullets but an increase in pressure that might be problematic .
Size is also important too .
Gary
I would certainly not disagree with Elmer as he had far more experience than I'll ever have. My post was assuming near correct alloy for the pressure and velocity. Soft lead in a 300WSM would be a fools chase. Soft lead in a 357Mag is quite doable if you download and have the correct size. Linotype in a 357 Mag works good but can lead if your sizing is not correct.

All great answers to my post pointing this out and gives me a reminder to be more clear.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I loaned my mould to a friend and he's gonna do some hollow point. I made him a hollow point pin for it. I don't know what happened to the original.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts