Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been considering doing this but have not done so yet. I want to take a 9mm Luger case and size it in my Mak dies. Then load it with about 3.1 grs of Bullseye... and of course shoot it. I know that I can put a .364 Mak bullet in 9mm case and it will chamber. I am just wondering about pressure. Reason for this is laziness. Not so many reloadable Mak cases around. I cut down 9 Lugers now and it involves considerable time. Also my CZ 82 and my Makarov throw the cases so far i usually don't retrieve more than 60%. Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Banned
397 Posts
As I remember, there was a guy on U-Tube giving a complete
demonstration on how to make Makarov brass for reloading. I
don't have a Mak so I wasn't real interested. Go on line and
see if you can find it.

Zeke

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ZB 338. I know how to cut down the Luger cases to make Mak cases. I do so now. It is pretty time consuming even with a Lyman motorized case trimmer. Because it's a blowback and really slings those cases I'm lucky to recover 60%. There are plenty of Luger cases around (though getting less and less) so I though I might save myself some time.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I'm not clear on this. You're planning to shoot the 9P case in which gun? The 9P or the 9M?

An untrimmed 9P case will chamber in your 9 Mak? Really? I'd think there was something wrong if it does.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rocky, I'm considering loading a 9 Mak bullet (.364) in a 9mm Parabellum case over 3.1 gr Bullseye and a standard small pistol primer. I know it will chamber since I've already made up a dummy round. What I have concerns about is what happens after the firing pin strikes the primer.

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
Way back in the day, when 9mm MAK cases were not offered as components and teh only 9mm MAK handguns you'd likely ever see where the occasional Vietnam bring-back, had to make MAK cases from 9mm. Really just a trim and expansion chore, so it's not all that bad.

From what I remember, the Unique loads worked out way back then aren't far off what is published today. Some 9mm cases are a bit thicker, so a bit less volume, but most 9mm MAK cases are pretty beefy (perhaps they come from the same factory drawing and heading dies as 9mm cases?).

Shouldn't get a full length 9mm case expanded to take a 9mm MAK bullet to chamber, should be a little too long. As yours does chamber, then suspect the headsapce is a little long...but in a blowback semi-auto, that's really not a problem. Suspect in a run of 10 or 20 9mm cases, you'll find one or two that are a little longer and may not chamber, and if you gotta trim them, then may as well trim them closer to 9mmMAK spec.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've been playing around with cutting down 9mm brass so I can shoot them in my Mak's
Also cast my own lead bullets.
Have had good luck using 3.5 grains of Unique and my 100 grain bullet.
I'm still working on seeing how much more I can tweek it now that the brass has been fire formed, and try using some different powders.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts