Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a P dog trip. Before we left me and my father-in-law reloaded 1300 rounds of 22-250 for my remington and his savage. Mine shot great the entire time, every one fire and went where i was aiming. His factory heavy barreled model 12fv savage however would shoot 3-4 good then the next would land 40 yards short or 40 yards to the right or.... then then next 3-4 would be on target again. What would explain this. Scope is fine, mounts appear to be fine. The gun has maybe 8-900 rounds down the pipe, could it be shot out?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,887 Posts
Have you factored in operator error?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol nope. hes a pretty good shot. plus 3 different shooters on that gun experianced the same thing.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,994 Posts
That's got to be a scope going bad.

·
Registered
943 Posts
What range were you shooting at? If a longer distance with a head or tail wind and any change in velocity this could happen, otherwise I agree the scope is likely bad. Try another scope on it at the same distance if possible and see what happens, and if possible let more then one person shoot it..

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update...
He sent the whole works into Savage to have them take a look at it. Savage said they could not find anything wrong with the gun itself and could not get it to duplicate the problem at there range. They said it is likely caused by the fact we are shooting 50 grain bullets instead of 55 grainers that are recomended...

I'm not buying that explanation

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Update...
He sent the whole works into Savage to have them take a look at it. Savage said they could not find anything wrong with the gun itself and could not get it to duplicate the problem at there range. They said it is likely caused by the fact we are shooting 50 grain bullets instead of 55 grainers that are recomended...

I'm not buying that explanation
I'm not sure why he sent it in to Savage, but their explanation doesn't hold any water.

Has he been able to duplicate the problem himself, at a shooting range? This will sound odd, but if he shoots 50 grain bullets, does it ever happen?

What you described almost HAS TO be a problem with the scope or mounts. Continued shooting will eventually reveal the actual cause, at some point.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
My father used to have a scope on an old model 14 remington that would throw the first shot anywhere. After that the next shots where right in the bullseye. Once we changed the scope, no more fliers.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Sounds like a bum scope to me.

What do the groups look like on paper? ...at the same distance you were shooting in the OP?

What was his height above ground? Shooting from a prone position can easily give you a 40yd impact shift with a slight shooter error, though this is usually vertical error.

What distance were you shooting at when the 40yd error occurred?

What was acceptable accuracy, the group size on paper, before the trip?

~~~~~~~~

There is not much info in the original post. I can see a 40yd error being fairly easy. Long range with mirage and a breeze with an unstabilized bullet from a hot, fouled bore, then toss in shooter error and a low powered scope with parallax issues.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
I just got to thinking about this and maybe there isn't a bad scope issue here, after all. If the ground the target was on sloped severely in any way, it wouldn't take much of a miss to be off 40 yards. Also, if you're shooting at distance, how do you know it missed by 40 yards? Maybe it missed by a foot and the dust you saw looked to be quite a ways off? I've noticed when shooting at fairly close targets that sometimes I'll miss and see the grass or dirt jump several feet away...give the impression I missed by a mile, when I know it was just an inch or two.

Lots of variables here...hopefully the OP will eventually respond back with the resolution. :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just thought i would update this a bit. He is convinced that his barrel which is a 1-12" twist is blowing apart the 50 grain VMAX's we reloaded. He says the twist is to fast. Mine is a 1-14 twist and does fine. This bullet is being push by 36 grains of Varget. So he is going to load 55 grain bullets this year and hope it fixes it. I give up...

·
Registered
943 Posts
If I can remember I'll try shooting some 50 grainers in my Rem 22-250, although I'm pretty sure I already have as I have a half box, but I could have used them in mt .223 also. :confused:

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Well, still seems kinda odd. I would think more bullets would separate instead of only every 4th or 5th one if they were spinning too fast. What velocity is he getting with the 50gr V-Max ?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I can remember I'll try shooting some 50 grainers in my Rem 22-250, although I'm pretty sure I already have as I have a half box, but I could have used them in mt .223 also. :confused:
Thanks, they shoot great in my Remington.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, still seems kinda odd. I would think more bullets would separate instead of only every 4th or 5th one if they were spinning too fast. What velocity is he getting with the 50gr V-Max ?
I don't have a cryno. but by the books id guess somewhere around 3500-3600, not max loads by any means.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
The 50gr V-Max pills should not be coming undone at that velocity and 1:12 is NOT a "fast" twist in a center-fire 22. :twocents:

Reactions: app

·
Registered
363 Posts
My .22-250 won't shoot 50 gr bullits faster than 3100-3200 Fps and group worth anything and it is an E.R. Shaw barrel with a 1-14 twist. 36 Gr. varget will get you about 3600 Fps. so bck off the powder and slow down the 50 Gr or switch to 55s and it will shoot. My 2-cents, Lou :)

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
A good friend has a 22-250 and we shoot the Hornady ammo 50gr v-max and they are loaded to 3800 fps and never a problem. He does have a 14 twist but still think it must be something else. Good luck to ya !!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Twist rate is only one factor in what makes bullets blow up. The 1-12 twist rate in this case could certainly be a factor.
Barrel roughness is also a big factor in making a bullet come apart. If the 1-12 twist rate barrel is rough, as many factory barrels are, bullet blow up could easily occur.
A really smooth 1-12 twist rate barrel might not have any problems with the same load that's blowing up bullets in this case.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts