Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I'll admit it from the start, I'm cheap. I'm looking for a medium that will be simular to hitting a deer. I'm trying to test bullet exspansion on some bullets I'm testing. I've tried the wet phone books. Any other suggestions would be welcomed. The only stipulation is it has to be free.
Bob

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
The only other thing that I know of that's free is very similar to what you've been using. I use old wet newspapers. I will also include some surveyors type sticks to simulate ribs in the first three inchs of paper if I'm feeling up to it. I wouldn't advise collecting surveyors markers for free. Another free medium, if you've access to it, would be wet or oil soaked sawdust. Buy you'll have to spend some time and money to build a box to house it in. I don't think the sawdust is as good for comparative purposes unless you pack it into the container with pressure. It's also more dificult to determine the relative penetration within truly accurate levels, but it can be shot into alot more times than a phone book or newspapers. The box that I used to use was about a foot sqare with a plywood sides and end and one end was heavy cardboard. The top was hinged. This box was about 4 feet long and VERY heavy when packed with oil soaked sawdust. The benefit of using oil soaked sawdust was that it didn't dry out and remained fairly consistent from one shooting session to the next.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts