Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a synthetic stock, 30" barrel, Ruger Red Label for clay shooting.

I have a much longer than average LOP and I would really like to make this gun fit. I need to add inches to this gun for a proper fit. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Add spacers to the stock or look for a new stock. I'd suggest that you get a good evaluation on what you think you need from someone who actually fits stocks for clays shooters. Very few shooters actually end up needing "inches" if you mean more than two. If you really want a stock to fit you, you'll need to go to wood and get it fitted for cast off/cast on plus length as needed. Check with a couple of knowledgeable shooters (good shooters who really know stock fit) to see what you need. I've seen a lot of new shooters spend a LOT of money on things they thought they needed and either they didn't, or they got it wrong when they tried. You can simply add a slip on butt pad to see if your scores improve with the added length for around thirty bucks and you can sell the pad when you're done with it. Don't alter the gun until you KNOW what you need. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Add spacers to the stock or look for a new stock. I'd suggest that you get a good evaluation on what you think you need from someone who actually fits stocks for clays shooters. Very few shooters actually end up needing "inches" if you mean more than two. If you really want a stock to fit you, you'll need to go to wood and get it fitted for cast off/cast on plus length as needed. Check with a couple of knowledgeable shooters (good shooters who really know stock fit) to see what you need. I've seen a lot of new shooters spend a LOT of money on things they thought they needed and either they didn't, or they got it wrong when they tried. You can simply add a slip on butt pad to see if your scores improve with the added length for around thirty bucks and you can sell the pad when you're done with it. Don't alter the gun until you KNOW what you need. Good luck.
I have been sized/fitted years ago and was told I needed to add around 3" (I wish I could remember exactly). I have tried the butt pads and spacers but nothing was long enough. I was hoping I would not have to go to an all wood stock, I really like the look of my composite furniture. I am 6'0" with a wingspan of 6'7' - 6'8". I am lanky to say the least. Any ideas on aftermarket synthetic stocks?

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
If you look on Brownell's, you'll see that spacers come in different thicknesses and can easily be "stacked" up to whatever length you'd like to ad. I'm not aware of any aftermarket stocks for this gun. I think you're pretty much stuck with spacers or wood. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

I would suggest speaking with the customer service dept of a few custom/synthetic stock makers, like Bell & Carlson, etc, to find out if they can dupe your issue buttstock in a longer length.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a friend that cut a BT-99 stock down for his son to shoot trap and as his son grew he made spacers out of 1/4" thick black sheet plastic and ground them to match the same as you would a grind to fit recoil pad. Also, they make different length recoil pads that could be fit to your gun. Pachmayr is a known quality pad with several choices.

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
'inches' is a lot. I have arms like my ancestors as well; corns on my knuckles :) but I have never had to add more than 1/2 inch to any stock. Has the stock been cut down for a youngster/woman before ? If so you are probably better to go get a new one. Here in the UK we can buy sheets of re processed black bags from 6mm up to 25mm
1/4 to 1 inch or thereabouts. This stuff is ideal for making spacers and I have modified a number of guns myself, not too difficult if you have a file or a belt grinder handy. You can also, as suggested, buy factory pads of various thickness. You should find a couple of small holes in the rubber pad you have fitted, carefully insert a screw driver, probably a Phillips and feel around and you should find a couple of screw heads. Unscrew and removed the pad. use the pad to mark your chosen spacer material, cut it out and grind to shape, drill two slightly larger holes than the screws and then with two longer screws, replace everything up tight. Tape your stock with masking tape, two or three layers, then with a fine file tidy up the fit of the spacer.
If you have a local gunsmith with a Try Gun then have him fit you with that and that will give you your length of pull and an indication of how much you need as a spacer. If not you can roughly do it by taping pieces on the back of the present pad and carefully mounting the gun until you think the pull length is comfortable. Hope this helps, as a good fitting stock is so important to accurate shooting. I have had two professionally made stocks for my 12 and 16 gauges and modified my 410 SBS, 870 and 1100 to fit, myself.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
You can add a 1/2" spacer and then put a 1.5" thick recoil pad on top of that to get the 2" you're looking for. As Sus has indicated and I've stated, you're looking to add a lot of length to your stock. Unless it has been cut down before, you may be headed in the wrong direction. I've seen a lot of shooters ruin their gun because they thought they needed longer or shorter stocks and didn't. A Try Gun will determine whether or not you need a longer stock. Length is probably not as important as pitch is on fitting a shotgun although both are very important. The best thing for you to do right now is go somewhere where they have a metal patterning board and do some trial mount and shoot exercises and see where you're hitting without "aiming" the gun. Just adding length may do nothing at all or actually cause more problems. A poor fitting shotgun can make or break your clays shooting. Your stock needs to have the correct length, cast on/off, pitch (up and down). If you really want to shoot clays, you need to get the correct fit. FYI, I used to shoot 20-25,000 rounds of shotgun a year so I have a fair idea of what I'm talking about.

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
A very good add on by nsb. It is important that your gun comes on aim without you actually aiming it , so to speak.
These days I shoot live birds not clays but have in my day, like nsb shot a lot of clays and in both it is very important that the shot is almost instinctive without you actually 'aiming' down the barrel, therefore that gun has to come up and put the barrel on target where you are looking without any real physical effort, in particular sporting clays and skeet. Having said that there are many different ways to teach someone to shoot, my way has always stood me in good stead(rated 5th in the Police Nationals back in 1970 out of 200). If I even glance at the barrel or sights then I will miss the bird, guaranteed. Hence all of my guns are fitted to me. Find a Try Gun first off.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Lop

I have a 15 1/4" LOP (measured with a Try gun). All of my SGs stocks are too short. I do not have your wingspan, however.....
I add a spacer or two to the stock and a removable recoil pad to give me the inch or so that I need..A few of the removables will add 3/4" by themselves.
Pete

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
If you look on Brownell's, you'll see that spacers come in different thicknesses and can easily be "stacked" up to whatever length you'd like to ad. I'm not aware of any aftermarket stocks for this gun. I think you're pretty much stuck with spacers or wood. Good luck.
Good point and actually subscribing to "The Big Book" (Catalog) is easier than their web site. You also get the flyers for new stuff and sometimes that helps too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts