Shooters Forum banner

extraction problem with Savage .223

9K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  jerbear 
#1 ·
I have a Savage 11 .223 with which I have been having extraction problems. Fully half the time, brass will not extract from the chamber but will be left loose laying in the action. The extractor consists of a part that grabs the rim of the cartridge with a ball and spring underneath seated in a detent in the part. It appears that the extractor "lets go" of the brass before it is pulled completely out of the chamber and therefore the ejector (spring loaded plunger) does not have the opportunity to propel the brass from the action. Whether the bolt is pulled back fast or slow, the same thing happens. If I pull it back slow and observe, the brass is pulled partially out of the chamber, but is somehow released before the case mouth clears the breech, leaving the brass just laying there, and I have to pull it out with my fingers. I have disassembled it and cleaned it to no avail. With the bolt out of the gun, a round can be forced under the extractor and then cannot be pulled out, but when in the gun, much of the time the round somehow comes out from under the extractor. No, I haven't gone to a gunsmith. I honestly don't know one in our rural East Texas area. Anybody have a similar experience and a solution, or do I have to live with it? I had a similar Savage in .308 but never had the problem with that gun.

#2 · (Edited)
A friend had the same exact problem with his Savage 223. Make sure the extractor part that grabs the rim is not sticking. Also on his gun the rear baffle was out of place and stuck crooked. The rear baffle is part of what helps to extract and also a helps in case of a blow back. So make sure it's in its proper position. It should have a little movement in it when its in its right spot. Tyler probably has some gunsmith's if it comes to that.

#3 ·
A friend has a model 12 similar to my varmint rifle and his done the same thing. In that case his problem was the spring behind the ball under the extractor was damaged by a blown primer. The spring was over compressed and would allow the extractor to pop off the ball detent.

#4 ·
In my family, we have the same problem with a Remington Model 7 in 223 and a Remington 700 Classic in 222 Remington. Defferent extractors I admit. My dad has worked on the Model 7 for many years and has not completely cured the problem - it is better but both rifles will still drop extracted empty cases or loaded rounds onto the follower.
It has to do with the extractor purchase on the rim and the tension of the plunger ejector.
We have seen the same problem in a Savage or two chambered for 223.
It will a good gunsmith or a lot of fiddling with the extractor to find the right tension and clearance. The plunger ejectors have a rather strong spring.

#5 ·
The spring damage possibility may be the likely situation. I did have a blown primer some time back and the problem did start after that. Right now, I can remove the extractor with my fingers very easily by just pushing on it and the tiny ball is just sitting there on top of the spring. The spring does not push the ball up very far above the bolt face. The spring looks OK, but maybe it is too compressed. I bet i can find a replacement spring somewhere for not very much. Thanks for giving me a hopefully inexpensive and easy fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.