Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Ruger7-22-VMBZ .22Mag bolt action and a Meuller tactical mildot 4-16x50mm scope. While on 4th of July vacation at the inlaws I was in disbelief with the accuracy I was able to obtain. I would set up a yardstick next to a "tree" of 10" balloons. Using the yardstick and mil-dot scope I was able to calculate the distance I was shooting...8/10 balloons at 400 yards if there was almost no wind...and 8/10 balloons at 350 yards with a moderate wind. I was extremely satisfied!!:D The best part was when my father-in-law pulled out his 30/06 and couldn't hit one, and I nailed three in a row with the .22Mag.:rolleyes: At that distance the ballon would pop a little time after the shot was fired and I could hardly see the individual balloons without optics. If I remember the bullet drop was about 14FT+/-. Does anybody know of a place to shoot near St. Clair County MI?? I haven't been able to find a place to shoot at 400 yards since.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Wow - the .22 mag is my favorite but I had no idea that anyone could get that kind of range. My hat's off to you.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Thats why Marine Snipers use Mil Dot scopes, they are very handy and the only way to gauge proper hold over if you run out of adjustment.

I have the same gun in .22 LR, and 77/22s in .22 WMR and .22 Hornet. All are very accurate and I am pleased with them.

Good work on those venomous ballons, you don't want them to get out of control on your property.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Man, that is some serious shooting! You'll forgive me if I seem a bit incredulous, but that is something I would almost have to see, to believe! I've never even contemplated shooting my rimfire rifles past 100 yards, so I can't imagine them retaining their accuracy at 400.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
That is some outstanding shooting with a 22 WMR. I sold my last 22 WMR rifle a number of years ago buy have been trying to find me another good used one at the local pawn shops but the don't sit on the shelf very long. I have never used a mildot scope but have thought about getting one.

·
Banned
300 Posts
I used a Barska 6x24x40 Mil-dot on a savage MK II .22 LR. I would put water bottles at various ranges around my deer stand and practice. Hits at 175 were common after figuring which "dot" to use. I did not try farther as at 175, I was using the verticle thick part of the reticle(Ran out of dots). I have benn wanting to try some longer distances, and this thread got me going again.

Ric

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man, that is some serious shooting! You'll forgive me if I seem a bit incredulous, but that is something I would almost have to see, to believe! I've never even contemplated shooting my rimfire rifles past 100 yards, so I can't imagine them retaining their accuracy at 400.
I don't blame you...At first I had balloons anchored with small stones on a mountain of dirt. and I thought the bullet was desinagrating when hitting the mound of dirt and fragments of dirt and bullet were popping the balloons, not really hitting them. The next calm day I used a stick with the balloons attached and placed it 20ft in front of the dirt pile to disprove my theory. My point is, I didn't believe it and I was the one doing it. I also used a paper target to verify what was happening.
The wind had a huge effect on the bullet and with a slight breeze attemping 400yds was a waste of ammo , but if calm it is possible to be consistent.
Next time I shoot it I am going to shoot a telephone book to see how much energy the bullet has at that range.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
I don't blame you...At first I had balloons anchored with small stones on a mountain of dirt. and I thought the bullet was desinagrating when hitting the mound of dirt and fragments of dirt and bullet were popping the balloons, not really hitting them. The next calm day I used a stick with the balloons attached and placed it 20ft in front of the dirt pile to disprove my theory. My point is, I didn't believe it and I was the one doing it. I also used a paper target to verify what was happening.
The wind had a huge effect on the bullet and with a slight breeze attemping 400yds was a waste of ammo , but if calm it is possible to be consistent.
Next time I shoot it I am going to shoot a telephone book to see how much energy the bullet has at that range.:rolleyes:
Get the phone book from East Jordan, MI (my home town). It's thin enough you might get those bullets to penetrate a little! :)

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
at 400 yrds ..mighty dang little.. jmo as i wouldn t care to use that gun at that distance..can it be done.. anything earthly can be done by man an his intelligence..
thats why we are in charge dn here ..under the creators watch of course.always..slim
edit i must apologise ..i was thinking 22 lr..of the magnum ,,i know nothing..sorry

·
Registered
486 Posts
Get the phone book from East Jordan, MI (my home town). It's thin enough you might get those bullets to penetrate a little! :)
LOL! I have family in Central Lake, which is even smaller ;)

I love the looks of those Ruger 77/22s. Great thread.
Dan

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
My aunt Barb lived in Central Lake for years. Lots of those little towns around there still use 5-digit dialing.

This thread has lit a fire in me and I will be setting up for 200, 300, 400 yard shots with my 22WM this spring, on really calm mornings, to see if I can hit some balloons at that distance!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I have a 77/22 lr. I have fired it at 250 yards and was surprised at the accuracy. I could hit a 6" target easily once the sights were set.

Don

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
I purchased a Ruger7-22-VMBZ .22Mag bolt action and a Meuller tactical mildot 4-16x50mm scope. While on 4th of July vacation at the inlaws I was in disbelief with the accuracy I was able to obtain. I would set up a yardstick next to a "tree" of 10" balloons. Using the yardstick and mil-dot scope I was able to calculate the distance I was shooting...8/10 balloons at 400 yards if there was almost no wind...and 8/10 balloons at 350 yards with a moderate wind. I was extremely satisfied!!:D The best part was when my father-in-law pulled out his 30/06 and couldn't hit one, and I nailed three in a row with the .22Mag.:rolleyes: At that distance the ballon would pop a little time after the shot was fired and I could hardly see the individual balloons without optics. If I remember the bullet drop was about 14FT+/-. Does anybody know of a place to shoot near St. Clair County MI?? I haven't been able to find a place to shoot at 400 yards since.
Sportsman,

I believe its more a matter of learning your rifle/cartridge's trajectory.

Check out this link:
http://www.jbmballistics.com/calculations/calculations.shtml

I lucked into hitting a silhouette at 400 yards with my target 22LR on a dare! Seems with the rifle sighted-in at 25 yards, it would be 1/2" high at 40 yds, back on at 50 yrds, then about 2 feet low at 200. On a dare, I shot a silhouette target at 400 consistently using the lower bottom point of the veritcal cross hair with the scope on 24X. Like you describe, I could hear the hit long after the rifle's report. This piece of seemingly useless bit of info proved quite $$ rewarding!

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
MI sportsman,

What ammo were you using?

CD

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
*laughing*
Wow, I dont feel quite so nuts for lobbing .22LR ammo at things "You shouldn't be able to hit" with it.

"Well, you line up on it, then raise up until your cross hairs are on the top of the treelineand the bottom point is just above where you want to hit"...

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I can't say I haven't done the same thing and been pretty surprised at what you hit at ridiculous ranges.

·
Banned
505 Posts
So use it kindah like a mortar!

·
Banned
133 Posts
Just shows what a good shot with a good rifle and good optics can do.

I used to shoot long range in a plowed field when I was a kid - watch the dust clouds and walk them in - with a .22 LR with open sights. I have no idea what the range was, but that barrel was up around 45 degrees. I wasn't really using the sights, of course, just using "muscle memory" to change the angle of fire.

A buddy killed prairie dogs with a .22 LR when he was young and poor and living in New Mexico. He was so far out, the PDs didn't know they were taking fire and he just walked them in. He didn't eat them, but the Navahos were glad to pick them up when he was done.

·
Registered
571 Posts

·
Banned
604 Posts
broom_jm ... I'm from East Jordan too. Born there in 1946. Brother still lives there. Still do a lot of hunting up there for jumpin' jacks (whitetail) and tree rats each season.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts