Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the optomatrist. It was enlightening.
When I was leaving, I took note of the bill. I was in the office for about 30 min. Half of that was waiting for the doc. So for 15 mins worth of work, I paid him over $100. I must be in the wrong profession. :p

And I asked him 2 questions:

Q: Can you improve your eyesight by exercising your eyes?
A: In the short term, yes, but in the long term it will have no effect. All you are duing is training your muscle twitches.

Q: Can you detach your retina from rifle recoil?
A: Not unless your head was hitting something. If recoil would detach your retina, then it would have happened due to something else first.
(In hind sight, I believe it was retinal damage and not full detachment that was discussed in another thread. I also didn't explain the extent of the recoil (.50 bmg or .375 H&H for example) and he didn't seem too familiar with guns. Take this one with a grain of salt.)

Now on to my eyes. The doc said "well at least your consistent." And by that he meant my eyes are getting consistently worse. He also explained that there is nothing I can do about it - it's just aging, which I have lots left to do (I"m only 24 right now). So hopefully I don't go blind as a bat anytime soon.

I was just going to share about the questions I asked, but now I'm kind-of paranoid about looking my sight. For those of you that have or are dealing with it, what problems (wrt shooting) did you notice, and what have you done to make up for it?

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
I had Lasik about 5 years ago. It was expensive and scary as all get-out but truly worth it in my opinion. I would have had it done sooner, but wasn't comfortable with the technology until recently.
It's a good procedure. It looks like we had it done rod the same time frame, and it has helped a lot.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Enigma, don't feel bad about your visit, I went to the Eye Doctor two weeks ago. 45 Minutes included testing and a perscription, plus 2 sets of lens. (I already have frames) $685.98.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Pray for Cataracts. I had 'em pretty bad and had insurance. They covered the surgery. I'd always been nearsighted, couldn't see 10' with any clarity. Now I have 20/15 vision at distance, just need reading glasses up close. Cheap, in any drug store or mega mart. My shooting improved incredibly. No longer have to wear glasses when it's raining, just to see a glimpse of a white tail ghosting thru the woods. Now I can pick up an eyeball at distances where I used to just see the whole deer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It seems every time I get a new pair of glasses they make em stronger, and it takes a while for my eyes to get used to them. Its probly job security for them.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
I no longer get my eyeglass perscription from the same in house eye ware business. After several incidents I've come to the conclusion its a conflict of interest to do the exam and then sell the frames and glass perscription. I just ask for the medical perscription and take a business of my choice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts