Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is 2" enough for a .45-70 shooting 405 grain soft points @ 2000 fps out of a 22" barrel that is non ported? I think I may be able to get away with it, just need some opinions.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Not in my opinion. Heavy loaded .45-70s can have some thump. I do not shoot any scope that does not have at least a 3 inch eye relief unless it is on a .22 LR. which is why almost every scope in my collection is a Leupold. Even if ported a 405 at 2K is going to give you a good case of scope eye unless your rifle weighs 15 pounds.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
2" ? No way. 3" is barely adequate. 3.5" to 4" is really where you want to be.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I, like the others, would not want to shoot a gun/scope like that in any sort of hunting situation where perfect body and rifle position is often impossible.

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
Another vote for NO. Getting bopped in the eye by a scope is a fast way to gain a serious flinch.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Eye relief of 2 inches would not be for me. Also take into consideration your shooting position AND the recoil pad. For instance, the LimbSaver,although a great working pad,takes away about 1/2" of eye relief due to it's flexing during recoil.

Stay away from the ouchies. ---pruhdlr

1 - 6 of 6 Posts