Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being relatively new at reloading, could someon suggest some moderate loads that are accurate for the FA 97 in .45 lc.  What would be a good powder to use? and what bullet wt. is a good moderate wt bullet?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
Vic,

No one can say for sure what will work best in your gun, although in a FA I'd think nearly anything would be accurate.

The 'usual' .45 colt for many years was a 250-255gr. cast lead semi-wadcutter (SWC or LSWC), at about 800-900 fps.  You can certainly exceed these ballistics, by a lot actually in the FA, but these would be very pleasant loads to shoot.

There are a huge number of powders that will achieve these ballistics.  Bullseye (5.5 - 6.0 grains), Red Dot (same charges as Bullseye), WW231 (about 7.0 grains), Unique (not sure - 8.0 grains?), AA#2 (about 7.0 grains), Titegroup (about 7.0 grains).... well, the list goes on and on.  I've used several of these and currently load AA#2.

Good luck.... I'd advise picking up a good loading manual.  Hornady, Sierra, Speer, Nosler, Hodgdon, Accurate Arms, Lyman, even the free booklest from Alliant, Winchester, etc.... they all have good useful information.

Let us know how we can help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts