Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Inactive
935 Posts
No, I never heard of rifle only 44 mag ammo. The powders you would use for a longer barreled hangun and a rifle are the same (for best performance). There may be a few loads that do not feed all that well in some lever action rifles. After that it's just a matter of matching the load for the game. Were you asking about hunting, target or just plinking?

Bill

·
Registered
9,779 Posts
Go back in time..about 1978-1980 or so...would find 20 round boxes of Norma 240gr. JSP ammo marked for Carbine use. Caused some concern with pistols shooters that it wasn't safe for their handguns...was "hot" but supose to be inside industry standards. In magazine tests of the day, was getting about 150fps more vel. than the WW or Rem. 240gr. loads...and as I don't believe in the tooth fairy, suspect that the extra velcoity had to come from extra pressure.

Unfortunatly used that old-time Normal steel jacket material and not much lead exposed...wouldn't expand decently on anything shor tof a cinder block. But the stuff was fast!

Use to shoot it in an old T/C Octo. barrel .44. The early ones had a spring latch that hooked the fore end in place rather than the screw system they used later. Made a range vist fun...shoot...walk downrange and pick up the fore end...shoot...walk downrange....

·
Registered
287 Posts
Nope. The 44 mag is the 44 mag. Winchesters ammo catalog simply notes the loads that are "also suitable in rifles". These are the heavier bullet loads, 240 gr. & up, which can still perform well at higher velocities and not blow up on deer sized game. ==Bob

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you handload go with the 265- 280 gr bullets. They will give greater penitration and do the job fine. If you don't reload there are several smaller ammution makers that carry the heaver bullet loads in jacketed and hard cast lead.

·
Registered
372 Posts
HOW IT USED TO BE; Back in the late 70's early 80's when I was selling this stuff, there were no small ammo cos. like today. Rem. made more variety of .44 loads than anyone, including a semi-wadcutter. They marked their boxes for handgun or rifle based on the feeding reliability of the cartridge. They made no ctgs. of higher than SAAAMI specs. I expect that the same holds true today unless the pkg. is specifically marked otherwise. Pepe Ray

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
The Hornady 300gr loading would probably be your best bet. The Federal Cast Core 300gr would be another possibility for good reliable performance on deer sized game, if it will feed through your rifle. The new Remington 275 gr Core-Lokt loading might also be another good choice for hunting.

I reccomend these loadings from the point of view that they all feature good bullets that should hold together at the increased velocity from your rifle. The Remington is a bonded core, the Federal is a heavy cast bullet that shouldn't cause any leading at the velocities involved, and the Hornady XTP is also a good heavily constructed bullet that should hold together fine at your increased rifle velocities. The Federal loading is essentially a non-expanding bullet, but as many on this forum will tesify, the bullet in question doesn't need to expand to kill well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
44 magnum ammo

They may no longer make it but I have a box of Winchester Western Super X 44 magnums, 240 grain Hollow Soft Points that the box is marked 20 Rifle Cartridges. Admittedly, I have had it on my shelf for many years but they do exists.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Is there any factory ammo in .44 mag made for rifle use??
Everything I find says PISTOL HUNTING USE
does it matter??
Probably not.

I have a .44 SBH and 77/.44. The hot loads from "the factory" supply are hard to beat, no matter what you buy.

Best? A 265gr Hornady (if you can find some), or 270gr Speer Gold Dot SP, (which are easy to find), over a dose of w296 will produce top velocity from either one. Both are exceptional for accuracy, and decent velocity.

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
The case can only handle so much pressure, regardless of the tube the bullet subsequently travels down. In other words, a "hot" 44Mag load is the same, whether it's in a pistol or rifle. The only difference is how much velocity will be created by the length of barrel it is fired from. If you don't handload, try some of the stuff mentioned above and chronograph it. You'll probably get somewhere around 1500-1800fps, depending on the bullet size and the barrel length. That will be plenty for 125 yards worth of big-game hunting power.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.