Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious as to what most do with new brass. Do you...

1. Load as is

2. Run expander ball over necks

3. Run brass through Lee Collet Die

4. Run brass thought neck size die

5. Run brass through FL die.

6. Other

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
Bushwhckr,

WHAT do you do with NEW Brass?

At a MINIMUM, I champher and deburr the new cases. Depending on the caliber and Lot, I could do many things.

Webley

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,469 Posts
Usually just collet neck size, trim, deburr, and do flash holes. Then at least all the brass starts on the same page.

RJ

Reactions: billyzz

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I run new cases over the expander to make sure necks are round, then chamfer the inner case mouth for ease of seating. 99% of the time that's all you need to do. New cases are normally considerably smaller than the normal chamber. I can't think of a single case in several decades where cases needed to be sized beyond truing up the necks.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,871 Posts
Pistol gets sized, belled SLIGHTLY and reloaded

Rifle gets FL, trimmed, chamfered in and out and reloaded.

Reactions: Mush from PA.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I run new cases over the expander to make sure necks are round, then chamfer the inner case mouth for ease of seating. 99% of the time that's all you need to do. New cases are normally considerably smaller than the normal chamber. I can't think of a single case in several decades where cases needed to be sized beyond truing up the necks.
Exactly and that's what I do. Afterwards if using the Redding bushing die I'll use the undersized retainer rather than the standard expander. If using Lee's collet dies for neck sizing only I'll still chamfer the inside and outside of the necks.

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
Yep, I do the same. Lee Collet die because the casemouths are often dinged, then chamfer inside the mouth. I may try to chamber a couple depending on the rifle, but I already know which ones will need more attention.

Oh, and I do like Kdub with pistol brass

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Pistol gets sized, belled SLIGHTLY and reloaded

Rifle gets FL, trimmed, chamfered in and out and reloaded.
Me too. Dented case mouths and burrs from manufacturing are common defects in from the factory new brass. But, as I do every case, every time I reload it, I inspect the cases...

·
Registered
112 Posts
An old timer told me many years ago to "always full length size and check OAL." So I always have!
Only brass I ever had to trim to spec length was some new Winchester .45-70.

·
Registered
156 Posts
it depends on the brass - I use quite a bit of Nosler front retail brass that I've not found a single flaw with in over 1000 pcs and Norma which has appeared more flawless than the Nosler to me thus far - W-W and RP yes, the same as all of you guys

·
Registered
146 Posts
I reload as it is, except I fix any mouth dents with the point of a bullet.
Never have weighed any but they do all stay in the same lot for their entire life.

Reactions: LarryLee

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ever since I had a batch of WIN brass that required me to trim 9%, and another batch that required me to trim a bunch, I do the whole ball of wax: FL size, mic and then trim as necessary, champfer, debur, flash hole condition, and inspect the primer pocket.

·
Registered
547 Posts
This is just my ignorance but my Hornady press and die sets usually have a three step system. Re-size/de-prime, Bell, and seat the bullet. Why would you not resize the case for consistency? Don't some people leave the case "custom fitted" for the specific gun after the brass has expanded after firing?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Walt45, looks like you are getting a bear hug.
For use in the same firearm, you only have to size the neck. Exception, semi-auto should be small base sized(additional size near the cartridge base to ensure proper cycling). Neck sizing is mostly for target shooting. Hunting ammo should be full length sized, or, if only neck sized, at least cycled through the action to ensure it will chamber properly.
I have seen benchrest competitors who even mark a dot on the case head so they can put it in the chamber exactly the same position every time.

Reactions: Walt45

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I treat my new brass like once fired brass and do the whole thing with it except I also check the flash hole to make sure it goes all the way through. I've run across a couple of new brass where it didn't. Very rare but stuff happens.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,921 Posts
I always run them through the full-length die anyway, but my dies are set up to only push the shoulder back a max of 0.002" shorter than a fired case.

Then expand with a Lyman "M" die and they are ready to go....

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,921 Posts
I treat my new brass like once fired brass and do the whole thing with it except I also check the flash hole to make sure it goes all the way through. I've run across a couple of new brass where it didn't. Very rare but stuff happens.
Good point. Forgot that I like to deburr the flash holes on the inside and uniform the primer pockets too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts