Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local shop has a couple of new Winchester (Browning repro's) 1886 45-70 lever actions - one Grade I and one Grade II.  Any idea on retail price for a Grade I?  I think he's about $400 too high at $1100.  Any advice appreciated.

Tom

·
Banned
554 Posts
I've seen nice Winchester 1886s (not Mirokus) for around $1700, if you shop a bit.  The Japanese ones go for about half that.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Tom,

one of our distribtors,Ellot Bros has the winchester model 1886 Extra Light listed as Grade 1 at $1141.83 and the High Grade at $1439.74  these are msrp, and are proably made in Japan. Just happen to be reading through their catalog when I saw your post.

Hope this helps

Gun Runner

·
Registered
206 Posts
What about the Browning 1886 Carbine in .45-70: what is the current market price of it? Are NIB 1886 carbines hard to find? What are they selling for?
Seems the Winchester Lightweights are quite common.

Thanks,
Timberwolf

·
Registered
302 Posts
Timberwolf,
The only thing browning does is show the products with the quote P.O.R after everything. Sorry

Gun Runner

·
Registered
79 Posts
I bought my 1886 for $999 on an auction site.  After shipping and dealer's fee, it cost me about $1050.  The extra light is the carbine you're refering to.  Best 45-70 out there right now.  After handling an extra light, I'd do without before buying a Marlin.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Aren't the Extra light and the 1886 carbine different. I think the extra light has a partially extended magazine tube, but the carbines have a fully extended tube and a 22" barrel design. I've been told that the carbines were dropped back in the early 90s and that they have virtually taken on "collectors" status and are VERY rare. Anyone know anything about the carbine as far as its price, accuracy, weight, etc.?

Thanks to all,
Timberwolf

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have seen '86 ELs listed as low as $695. This was a co. called CDNN Investments, out of Texas. I posted the info a few months ago and some of the fellows took advantage of it. Even though it's Miroku, I wouldn't give mine up. I've had it a couple of years now, and it's gettin' slicker with use. One of these days it'll be as sweet as the originals. There is a shop nearby that has a Browning SRC priced at $700. I'll check tomorrow to see if it's still there. Love those 1886 Winchesters!
                    Best regards to all, mike

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, I need some clarification:

Are the Browning repro's built by Miroku in Japan?  Are the Winchester's built by Miroku?  The two rifles I  looked at had a Half magazine and a sliding safety on the the tang.  I thought they were Brownings because one was fancy with gold inlay, and one was more "normal" finish.

Any clearing up is appreciated.

Tom

·
Banned
554 Posts
Browning and USRAC are now one international company.  USRAC makes the 1894s and Model 70s here in CT.

Miroku makes most Browning guns.  Now that USRAC is part of Browning Int'l, they are relabelling the Browning 1885, 1886, and 1892 Miroku-made models back into the "Winchester" brand.

Not so clear... but, the way it is.

Charlie

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I need more advice - a different local shop will order me a new grade I 1886 45-70, 22" barrel, half magazine, pistol grip, shotgun buttplate and round barrel for $875.  This seems like a good deal to me - anybody else think so?

Also, are these things drilled and tapped for reciever sights?  I think I will install a sight and a decelerator before I pull the trigger.

As always, all advice appreciated.

Tom

·
Registered
123 Posts
Tom,

If that rifle does NOT have a pistol grip, then I believe it to be the Winchester Extra Light Weight made by Miroku.  It will have a tang-thumb safety and a rebounding hammer, neither of which were on the originals (also a concealed safety for the trigger), but which may be acceptable to you.  The receiver is drilled and tapped for a Williams or Lyman receiver sight.  It will be just like mine.

I did install a Lyman 66WB receiver sight, although I like the Williams Foolproof better after seeing it.  Fewer protrusions.  I installed a 1/2" recoil pad, not for recoil, but for some extra length.  My thumb was impacting my nose and I decided not to modify either of them.  My gunsmith boiled the new pad in water to soften it and them fitted it to the shape of the butt of the stock, so no material was removed and the steel butt plate could be replaced, if desired.

It shoot respectable groups with Remington 405 gr. bullets that can be purchased for about $65/500 at Cabela's and Graf and Son's.  They permit a lot of shooting.  I have 2 loads that have worked for me:

1) 405 Rem., 48 gr. 3031, CCI 200.  Seated to edge of cannalure.  @1600
2) 405 Rem., 53 gr. 3031, CCI 200.  Same seating.  1815fps @ 10 ft.  1 1/4" group for 3 shots.

I paid more than the $875, but have seen them on the GunsAmerica for $800.  But shipping is additional; have to wait; buying unseen; etc.  Decisions, decisions!

dclark

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool........

How is the recoil?  Have you tried any cast bullets like Laser cast 405's?

i think I will count my pennies and put in my order.  I need another rifle like I need a hole in my head, but I have a hard time saying no to beauty like these..........

Tom

·
Registered
123 Posts
Tom,

I find the recoil to be very tolerable.  Once I got the extra length, I have had no problems.  I shoot the 405 jacketed bullets because I found to be cheap and available.  I shot an elk last fall and they went clear through him, so I connot fault them, but the range was 50 yards or so.  Set up the way it is, I believe it (and some similar rifles in various calibers) are going to be my primary elk guns in the next several years.  I haven't been so excited about new rifles in several years.  What fun!

dclark

·
Registered
510 Posts
Howdy All,
             I checked back at the local shop this afternoon and the Browning carbine was gone. He had two ELs at $1150 ea. Definitely not a deal, but he will sell them. Since we are in sunny California where guns are not politically correct, many levers were put on the "do not sell" list last year. This was due to some poor legislation known as the assault weapon ban. Rifles having magazines capable of holding more than ten rounds fell under that ruling. That could just about shut down cowboy action shooting. Thankfully, common sense prevailed and an exemption for lever actions was written into the law. A problem still exists concerning slide actions like the new repro Colt Lightnings. Believe it or not, they can be considered "assault weapons" simply because in revolver caliber you can load more than ten into the tube. Hopefully we can get some favorable clarification on this matter, too.
    Well, having said all that, I think that I'll go back to the loader and crank out some 45-70s and 90s. I'm about out of 3031, so I'm gonna make some target loads using 26/2400/300gr Laser-Cast. There's lots of fun and little recoil. I'm laying off of the heavy stuff for a while so that all the bruises can heal.
                         Cheers,    
                                 mike

·
Registered
206 Posts
Back to the Browning 1886 Saddle Ring carbine with a 22 inch barrel. Does anyone know it's approximate weight? Is it known for good accuracy? Finally, I believe they ceased manufacturing them in the early 1990's. Have they reached collectors' status and what is the market value for them when they can be found?

Thanks to all,
Timberwolf

·
Registered
510 Posts
Timberwolf,
            I have not tried to weigh a Browning SRC, but, I think that they would be about the same as the originals; a little over 8 lbs. I found the original carbine ladder type sight to be inaccurate for hunting use. I removed them in favor of a Marble's folder which worked well with the original front blade. I don't have a clue whether or not the Brownings have reached "collector status". I see 'em in the Gun List every 2 weeks, maybe I ought'ta wake up and pay attention. All I ever check out are old 1886s. The Ca. registration fees sorta take the fun out of gun buying these days so I stick to C&Rs.
                                         Regards,
                                                 mike

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mike, thanks for your post. What does your Gun List indicate the Browning Saddle Ring Carbines are selling for? Do the prices seem to be pretty consistent?

Much Appreciation,
Timberwolf

·
Registered
510 Posts
TimberWolf,
         Go to www.gunsamerica.com. Search for 1886 browning rifles. There are two, one at $995, another $850. Neither are unfired. I don't know how you feel about buying sight unseen, though. I have gone that way a few times and not been unhappy. Keep on lookin'.
                               mike

1 - 20 of 26 Posts