Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, went to the range today and every one of the 11 stations was occupied. I had to wait to shoot. This week's weather has been super ... temp in the 60's and tons of sunshine. I guess everyone who was holed up all winter took advantage of the warm day. Where were all these people when it was 0 degrees? Maybe the range should adopt a point system for regular range goers. You go during crappy weather you get points. Enough points in your point account and you can kick someone off your favorite bench. What a great idea!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hmmmmm, I'm not sure who should get the points. The person that went to the range when it was 0 degrees, or the person that stayed in a nice warm home to study up on some new handload or some other kinda doodly dangley thing on the internet.... just kiddin'.... actually most any day is a good day to shoot all kinds of weather included so that you know what's goin' on... I know it can get mighty cold up there during the last part of archery and into gun season!!!... yesssireee..... Hope I can make it up to NY this May for turkey.... gobble gobble

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,203 Posts
We've continually had to expand the public range at our facility. About 10 years ago we went from 24 to 36 benches. At the first of this year, it was expanded from the 36 to 48 benches.

With great weather and Spring Break, the entire line has been at capacity nearly all day long, every day, with a waiting list of folks for someone to vacate a bench. We open at 6:30 AM and shoot until 5:45 PM. It's frustrating for those waiting, but it is pleasing to see so many interested in shooting.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmmmm, I'm not sure who should get the points. The person that went to the range when it was 0 degrees, or the person that stayed in a nice warm home to study up on some new handload or some other kinda doodly dangley thing on the internet.... just kiddin'.... actually most any day is a good day to shoot all kinds of weather included so that you know what's goin' on... I know it can get mighty cold up there during the last part of archery and into gun season!!!... yesssireee..... Hope I can make it up to NY this May for turkey.... gobble gobble

Ha ha ha :)

Yeah we got lots-o-turkeys. My favorite species is ... tasty. I just have to be patient because they strut right into the front yard and I can shoot them from the porch. You can liken NY turkeys to what they say about Barack Obama ... ummm ... ummm ... ummm!

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We've continually had to expand the public range at our facility. About 10 years ago we went from 24 to 36 benches. At the first of this year, it was expanded from the 36 to 48 benches.

With great weather and Spring Break, the entire line has been at capacity nearly all day long, every day, with a waiting list of folks for someone to vacate a bench. We open at 6:30 AM and shoot until 5:45 PM. It's frustrating for those waiting, but it is pleasing to see so many interested in shooting.
That's how the Florida range was. I used to show up when they opened for two reasons 1) it was cool in the early morning 2) I got my choice of shooting benches.

I always thought it was great to see so many shooters.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
the more good rifle men in this country,, the better..;)
future minute men of america. for every rifle man at the ranges ..i suspect theres 10 that seldom go to a range..our forefathers ,forethought ,by creating the 2nd..is paying off..i bet they would be proud..jmo slim
ps. i look on them as the silent majority ,that is the real check on those that would take the right to bear arms ,away from us..

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
My range is pretty good, I'm normally there by myself. Close to the firearm deer season they have open range and it's free. Non members crowd the place and take up spots while paying members either have to wait or can't get on the line at all. With the yearly membership going up the past few years, I don't think it's right at all for members not to be able to get on the line while non members shoot away for free. I was considering going to the next meeting and bringing that up to at least charge them per half hour and for additional firearms. Some were getting a bench and sitting there for 2 hours, sighting in everything they had.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My range is actually pretty fair. A member must go through a locked gate, sign in, and display a parking pas s showing membership. Non-members may shoot, but are charged $25 or $10 as a guest of a member. There is usually plenty of benches for everyone to be comfortable. 3 dozen for the rifle range, 2 dozen for the pistol/rimfire range. It makes for a great experience for everyone.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Wow, went to the range today and every one of the 11 stations was occupied. I had to wait to shoot. This week's weather has been super ... temp in the 60's and tons of sunshine. I guess everyone who was holed up all winter took advantage of the warm day. Where were all these people when it was 0 degrees? Maybe the range should adopt a point system for regular range goers. You go during crappy weather you get points. Enough points in your point account and you can kick someone off your favorite bench. What a great idea!
I think the idea stinks. Are you sure you're from Oswego and not NYC? There is already enough conflict among shooters from the different disciplines that is causing clubs problems. I agree with giving the members who are supporting and paying for the club preference, but kicking someone off the bench before (s)he can finish their stings for sighting or new ammo evaluation is going too far and asking for trouble. Perhaps[s you need to get to the range earlier on nice days.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chill out dude ... it was meant as a light-hearted comment. No, I'm not in Oswego, I'm in Owego. No S in Owego. There's about 350 miles between us and Oswego.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,203 Posts
We have an annual membership of $85 for individual, $95 for family (both spouses and children under the age of 18), adult daily fee of $7, member's guests (limit of 3 per member) at $5 and minors at $3. They can shoot all day if desired, no preference given to members for benches (first come, first served) and a waiting list with first come, first called. Member can purchase a key for the member's gate and arrive before main gate is opened to get a bench and be set up ahead of the public. If members qualify for competetive events held on the other member's only ranges, they have use of those (pistol, high power rifle, small bore/muzzleloader) when events aren't being staged.

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
We had 40 shooters out to our first USPSA match today, despite 85 mph winds gusting to 400 or so mph. Unfortunately, I was one of just 6 Range Officers so I got to run a whole squad, every shooter... that makes for a very long day.

·
Registered
11,954 Posts
The public shooting ranges out here are pretty easy to get into unless it's holiday or weekend. I usually go early on weekday mornings before the wind picks up or others show. Try doing any long range shooting and load development first and finish up with rimfire, muzzleloader and handguns.

Pet peaves:
Some dude tying up the 300 yard range standing 25 feet from the berm popping away with his weapon of choice. There are dozens of places to shoot up to a 100 yards. Always been tempted in those cases to set my target stand next to the guy and go back to the 300 yard bench and start setting up to see if he gets the hint.

Those leaving truck loads of their trash behind.

Those who enjoy making rubble of the concrete shooting benches and punching holes in signs. So far I haven't caught anyone doing this, but the evidence is there.

We are fortunate enough to have these places supported by the government. Always wonder how much it will take from the thoughtless ones to cause these ranges to be shut down?

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Leaving trash behind, that's one of my pet peaves too. I just hate range pigs. I've called people to task quite a few times about their sloppy habits. Usually it's the young guys that think someone is going to clean up their mess.

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
Our Range --->

I consider myself very lucky to have a range as good as the one here.

It has plenty of stations. Would guess about 60-75. The events that we have never take the whole range. There is always a place to shoot. If I get there early I can set up multiple targets to simulate multiple BG's and it lets me shoot from cover using different positions. It will also allow me to move while shooting which we all should be doing given a defensive situation.

The 100yd range can be set up for 25,50,or 100yd targets with a 30ft berm for safety. We also have a 200yd range with 8 positions and concrete benches which are designed for both right and left handed shooters.

Our range has a waiting list to be able to join. We have a 250 member limit. Our club is also a 100% NRA club which I feel that all clubs should be.

We do not allow full auto weapons or 50BMG's after some bad experiences with both. We are a safety minded club and since I have been a member(6+ years) we have cancelled the membership of several unsafe individuals.

I feel lucky to be a member of this fine organization. ----pruhdlr

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The best range I had access to was in FL, 16 miles south of Malabar, just off the highway. Same set up as you described but fewer stations. I loved using the 200 yard stations. They provided golf carts to run back and forth between your shooting station and the target. They even had ceiling fans. That range did not have memberships it was open to the public. At the time I was there it cost $4 to shoot all day.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.