Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking at a new .308 and the FAL is rugged and pretty accurate. any reviews? and does anybody know what country has the best? on gunbroker an austrian rifle is 1,200 and an atgentina rifle is 1,400. is there a difference or is it just the seller??

·
Registered
583 Posts
metric or non-metric? there are both and the parts are not all interchangale. WIKI has a good amount of background on this one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_FAL the FAL can be a good shooter or a pain in the you know what... just depends on how you get along. if you plan to shoot it with open sights the FAL can be a lot of fun. I used to use one for practical rifle/pistol combo drills needed lots of CLP to cycle consistently. It would start to dry out and the bolt would stop before it closed. with optics I have seen one capable of shooting MOA groups and several only capable of shooting dinner plate sized groups at 100 M typical battle rifle accuracy IMHO. the optics mounts likely have a lot to to with that but poor fit of pieced together components likely had as much to do with the poor shooters. not everyone with a workbench and a dremmel tool is a gunsmith... If I were going to buy one I would get an FN herstal made one, it was their design and all others are immitators. I think I would also want a short barrell. Better yet if you are looking for an accurate semi auto .308 get an FN-AR or a springfiled Socom/socom II. The FN-AR is guaranteed to shoot MOA out of the box. and the springfield is a springfield after all.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
I had one issued to me years ago when I was a Trooper. As Matt said it was a pain to keep running right. It had to be cleaned regularly to function properly. Mine was the all steel model and was extremely heavy to carry. It was a very accurate rifle with open sights though.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
My FAL is a L1A1 inch pattern. It shoots very well and will put ball ammo into about a 2" group at 100yds with a scope. I think the trigger is the major reason for the accuracy. Heavy and creeping does it no justice. I bought mine years ago from Century Arms for $495 and have never regretted the purchase.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys. i already have 22" m1a and its pretty accurate.my next purchase is between a socom( with a wood stock, looks pretty BA lol) and the FAL i didn't know much about them and was asking more experienced shooters

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
At one time is was known as the weapon of democracy. Over 100 countries used it as their main battle rifle and it could have been ours if not for the inferior AR-15/M-16 being picked.

One of my favorite pass times with the FAL is making big rocks into small rocks down at the local creek. That ball ammo really turns the rocks into gravel in a hurry.

·
Registered
583 Posts
true that on the trigger pull. the things we forget as the years pass by. I guess nostalgia has a way of making you forget the bad things and just remember the fun. Your FAL is a nice looking one. is that a integral bolt dustcover/pickatinny rail? that looks like it would to much beter than the side mount nonsense you usually see.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I've owned several semi auto versions (Springfield SAR-48 Bush rifle and a Belgium FN with a Douglas Match bbl) and have carried them several times in the middle east (all FNs, select fire). My longest shot at a whitetail was with my SAR-48 after a failed handgun hunt (none within self propose range) and dropped the doe at 300m during the last 10 legal minutes. I would suggest that you look at DSA offerings.

CD

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
true that on the trigger pull. the things we forget as the years pass by. I guess nostalgia has a way of making you forget the bad things and just remember the fun. Your FAL is a nice looking one. is that a integral bolt dustcover/pickatinny rail? that looks like it would to much beter than the side mount nonsense you usually see.

Yes it is. the cover fits very tighly into the action and I suffer no POI shifts. The only problem is the carry handle is useless now.

·
Registered
583 Posts
and before the carry handle was? I've never understood the fascination military gear gurus have with top carry handles in the sense that the FAL had to have one and the M16 had to have one... the one by the trigger is the one to carry it by. these were mandated by the militaries that commissioned the weapon to be made but do they really get much use in real life or do they just get in the way of mounting optics.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
It is a convienent place to carry a gun when not in the area of action. I often carry my deer rifles by the scope tube over the action. Some of the mounts are high enough to allow my scope to act as a nice comfy handle. I've also never had a problem with scope breaking, shifting, and losing zero when using the scope like that.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Remember when the FAL and M16 were designed in the 50s scope mounting wasn't as big as today. Troops also were expected to march more then today's motorized troops. I also removed the carrying handle off my FAL as I never use them as such and don't like them bouncing around.

CD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts