Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year I bought a 308 and love it. I have always had long action guns mainly in 270 and 30-06. I love my 270 and it has served me well but now I want to trade it in and get a 7mm-08. I dont know what has come over me, maybe age or something I just dont know. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else out there.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
This year I bought a 308 and love it. I have always had long action guns mainly in 270 and 30-06. I love my 270 and it has served me well but now I want to trade it in and get a 7mm-08. I dont know what has come over me, maybe age or something I just dont know. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else out there.
If there were a .270-08 available, do you think you would go with that option to replace your .270 win over the 7mm-08?

·
Banned
377 Posts
I like both action lengths. I see no advantages unless you just want a rifle made for one of the shorter cartridges. I have a 7mm-08 Featherweight and I wish it were a .270. I got it because it was cheap.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I guess I have never really found a preference based on action length. I like guns because of the caliber and the particular rifle itself.

But, buy whatever YOU like and enjoy them.
Dan

·
Registered
42 Posts
My hunting buddies all shoot long actions and sneer at my .308's (I have 4 of them). They are convinced that the short action is a second class citizen of the caliber universe. Most of them cannot tell you their bullet weight, muzzle velocity, trajectory, or anything else about their cartride. All they know is that their long action (or newfangled supershort) is 10 times better than an old fashioned short action.

The .308 just happened to be the first centerfire deer rifle I purchased about 25 years ago and I've loved it for whitetail hunting and shooting paper ever since. I have an ol' beater Mauser chamberd for .308(technically not a short actioned rifle) that I'll shoot against any modern off-the-shelf sporter. I picked it up for less than $200 and it's the most dependable, accurate rifle I've ever been around.

When my oldest daughter started shooting about 9 years ago, I picked up a NEF in .243. That little cartidge is bad news for whitetails. It shoots very accurately (I did have the trigger worked on) and in our experience it puts down whitetails with flair. I would carry it rifle hunting if necessary with complete confidence.

Yeah, Spatola,,, you're in good company here. Welcome to the wonderful world of short action. Oh, yes.... I get the same velocity out of a 150 grain bullet as my Brother's 30.06 with only about 2/3 the powder and much less felt recoil. (I never understood why a 150 gr bullet at 2,900 fps out of one rifle could kick so much harder than the same bullet at the same speed from another rifle.)

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
I went from long actions to no actions. So if long is good, short is better, then none must be amazing. :D

·
Registered
930 Posts
I confess!

My first centerfire was a 270 A Bolt (still have) after using my dad's Nazi 8mm Mauser or my grandpa's 30-30 Winchester. I bought my son a 30-30 Marlin, then sold it to get a 30-06 that never shot well, then sold it to buy him a cheap Wal-Mart Winchester 270. Two years later his father-in-law gave him his 1958 BSA Majestic in .308. Man, what a sweet little gun! Joe loves it, and I do, too. Then I bought a 260 REM, then a 243. I have a sneaking suspicion I'll have a 338 Federal and a 7mm-08 before it's all said and done.

·
Premium Member
5,427 Posts
My only bolt action for the past 15 years has been a .308 winchester in a Remington modle 700, lefty, BDL.

i do not need any other bolt gun, as it accurately shoots 100 grain to 180 grain, both lead and jacketed.
While I still own the fancy walnut stock it was born in, it has resided in a Fajen nutmeg laminate since 1990.

Gotta love a short action.

·
Banned
128 Posts
I love my short actions, and the Featherweight 7 08 is a real favourite

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I confess!

My first centerfire was a 270 A Bolt (still have) after using my dad's Nazi 8mm Mauser or my grandpa's 30-30 Winchester. I bought my son a 30-30 Marlin, then sold it to get a 30-06 that never shot well, then sold it to buy him a cheap Wal-Mart Winchester 270. Two years later his father-in-law gave him his 1958 BSA Majestic in .308. Man, what a sweet little gun! Joe loves it, and I do, too. Then I bought a 260 REM, then a 243. I have a sneaking suspicion I'll have a 338 Federal and a 7mm-08 before it's all said and done.
LOL... you and I must think alike ;) I've been toying with the idea of getting a 338Fed myself and I've always kept the idea that if my 260 didn't pan out I'd get a 7mm-08. I already have the 260 and 243, too. I don't have a .308, though, and don't really plan on getting one unless I really need something with really easy to get and cheap ammo.

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
i love my remongton classic in 300 savage, i load it comparable to a 308 win. i picked up a model 7 in 7/08 last spring and i really like it, in fact i took a nice whitetail with it a couple day ago.
my only beef is scope selection for the shorties... i have a burris short mag on the 300 and love it but i have an older 2x-7x burris compact on the 7/08 and i can see why it was discontinued!! it's not a bad scope but there is nothing great about it.
whatever floats your boat!!

·
Registered
930 Posts
i love my remongton classic in 300 savage, i load it comparable to a 308 win. i picked up a model 7 in 7/08 last spring and i really like it, in fact i took a nice whitetail with it a couple day ago.
my only beef is scope selection for the shorties... i have a burris short mag on the 300 and love it but i have an older 2x-7x burris compact on the 7/08 and i can see why it was discontinued!! it's not a bad scope but there is nothing great about it.
whatever floats your boat!!
Discontinued?

I've got a 2-7X35 Burris FFII on my 260; bought it brand new less than a year ago. It's still listed on their website. I really like it, and was considering buying another for my ML.

Oh, I see you said "older 2x-7x"; must be before the Fullfield II.

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
yeah jake they used to have a line of compact scopes. it's not a bad scope but the field of view is pretty narrow... i need to find the vital statistics on it and compare it to the newer ff 2 and even the timberline, i have heard good things about it but have yet to handle one.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
i have had the belted magnums, the 30-06, .280 rem, 8mm Mauser on the long side, the 303 brit, .243 win, and 7-08 on the short side. if i were to buy another rifle today it would be a short action.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I guess I have never really found a preference based on action length. I like guns because of the caliber and the particular rifle itself.

But, buy whatever YOU like and enjoy them.
Dan
+1 to that. I have both and could not care less if I am shooting a short or long action. Caliber is where it is at. I have had people tell me that they don't want this or that rifle because it is a short or long action, and I just don't get it. To each his own.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.