Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends,
A local Wal-Mart store has a Winchester model 70 .300 WSM package gun on clearance for $369.96 (regular price is $389.96). How do the .300 WSM and the .270 WSM compare with the standard .300 Mag and the .270 Win out of a 24 inch barrel? Are these rifles generally accurate, etc.?

Thanks,
Timberwolf ;)

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Timberwolf,
The .300 WSM was designed to, and does, replicate the performance of the 300 WinMag. The difference in the two isn't really worth too much discussion as far as the loading data and factory ammo velocities I've looked at. The .270WSM is much more like a .270 Weatherby than a .270 Winchester. If you do a little looking on Winchesters website, you should be able to see the difference. I believe it's a Winchester M70 Super Shadow with the synthetic stock and matte finish. I'm not certain of that though because WallyWorld buys guns from some mfgs directly that standard distributors will not stock as a result of no margin on competitive pricing.

Accuracy-wise, all the gun writers are saying there are quite accurate. I can't say one way or the other, but we do know who pays the gunwriters salary and takes them on free hunting trips! I always take that into account. I can't see any reason it would be any more, or less, accurate than any other non-custom M70.

·
Banned
27 Posts
Well, I'm gunwriter too but so far no manufacturer paid fom my hunting trip yet (what a pity).

Anyway, I visited Blaser factory in Germany last year. They allowed to shoot some series with a rifle chambered for .300 WSM. One ragged hole 110 yards.

Blasers are excellent rifles and the round seems accurate too. Whether there is a need for it is another questions. I get around with .30-06 all over the world as long as the critters don't want to do me any harm.

Interestingly, though, Blaser engineers told me that they prefere WSMs to Remington SAUMs. According to them WSMs are accuracy winners.

Roman

1 - 3 of 3 Posts