Shooters Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
Spent an hour last night penning a small dissertation on my history with 35's and when I hit the post button I had been kicked off the forum and I lost it all, so today I'm going to keep it short.
There is a 30-minute time limit for composing and submitting a post. I had the same thing happen to me about a year ago. You can compose your post at your leisure as a Word document then paste it into the Forum, or you can submit it before you're really done with it and just have to live with the dreaded "edited" message at the bottom. You have about two minutes after submitting to correct any errors before the "edited" message will show...

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
7MMRLC, I believe that if you can handle the 30-06 you can handle the Whelen. Especially if you reload. I am really recoil sensitive. Old back and neck injuries and corrective surgeries have left me in a a rather precarious position. If it rocks me I can't shoot it. The Whelen presents no problem to me. I did, however, stop on the way home when I picked up the gun, and bought a pre-cut Limbsavor pad. If fits very well for a pre-cut pad. When I get the chance I am going to have my gun smith install a pad for me, maybe shorten the stock slightly.

A note on the 35 Remington: This old round is no slouch with the 200 grain Remington Cor-Lok. However, with the advent of the Hornady Leverevolution bullets the 35 Remington is a whole other round. Sighted in per the ballistic info on the box, I have made 200 yard kills. I would stretch this to 250 if necessary, perhaps with a little higher hold.

·
Registered
74 Posts
In my experience, the Whelen, 350 RM, and to a lesser degree, the 358 Win have Jeckyl and Hyde personalities when it comes to recoil. Loaded with 225 and below bullet weights, they are very manageable, on a par with the '06 with similar bullet weights. Once you start tossing 250 grain bullets at 2500+ fps out of them in rifles under nine pounds, they can be quite punishing for most shooters. I tried my hand at the 9.3 for a while and those 270 grain pills at 2400 fps in my CZ 550 were close to my recoil limit. I am sold on 225 grain bullets in the Whelen as the perfect elk combination.

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
You have about two minutes after submitting to correct any errors before the "edited" message will show...
I wish it was five minutes. Oftentimes, I see an error after the two-minute period has elapsed. Then I have to correct the error, and that ugly "edited" message shows up. Makes me look like I can't organize and express my thoughts in a succinct and expeditious manner. Any way the "grace period" before the evidence of an edit is seen can be extended? Thanks.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Always liked the .35 stuff. I had a Remington 141 (or was it a Model 14?) pump action in .35 Remington, nice cartridge to load for, easy shooting and accurate. It had a spiral tubular magazine so it could shoot pointed bullets. Next came a Contender in .357 Herrett. This may not be considered a real .35 worthy of note, but it had more energy at 100 yards than the .44 Magnum did at the muzzle. Thing was a bear to shoot, it split the web between my thumb and forefinger if I didn’t wear a glove. Then came a .348 Winchester in a Browning 71 Carbine. Maybe a bit smaller than .35, and still a question as to why Winchester chose such a odd caliber, maybe because they wanted to keep .358 spitzer bullets out of the magazine tube, knowing reloaders would try it.

Next came a weird concoction I cobbled up on a Siamese Mauser action. It is barreled in .35-348 Winchester Ackley Improved. The cartridge is a .348 Winchester necked up to .35 and blown out in the improved chamber. The photo below shows the progression. Left is a factory .348 Winchester, middle is a case necked up to .35 with a fire forming load, and right is the finished cartridge loaded with a 200 grain bullet. While .350 Remington Magnum data can be used, I relied on P.O. Ackley’s data as a starting point. The cartridge was originally designed by Robert Hutton for the Lever Power series of cartridges designed for Winchester 1886 models. The Siamese Mauser is tolerant of a bit more pressure, but wisdom dictates keeping it within reason.

The rifle below is fairly traditional, but still proves that sometimes or notions are more practical than they are in practice.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
When i was a kid, a good friend of my dads touted the AI cartridges, he shot a 30-06 AI and it was the beginning and end to rifle cartridges as far as he was concerned. So, when I read an article by G. Sitton about improved cartridges in Petersons Hunting, I knew the 35 AI was the cartridge for me. Even considered the 358 Hawk as there was a good write-up in Handloader back in the late 90's, but the case forming didnt interest me. So, I began picking up boxes of 35 Whelen factory ammo for eventual fireforming, and in spring of 2002 I had a 35 Whelen AI built.

M98 action, 26" shilen bbl 1-14 twist, Hi Tech Specialties fiberglass stock w/ decelerator pad, aluminum hinged floor plate, timney trigger, David Gentry 3 position M70 style safety (he cut the bbl back to 25" for me, so it would fit in my hard case when he installed the safety), Leupold VX II 3-9, bedded the action myself when I fitted the stock.

I have taken 7 elk with it in 12 seasons. I am a huge Barnes X bullet fan... My goal was to take an elk with every practical weight hunting Barnes X bullet, and I have along with a couple elk taken with the Hornady 250 spire pt.

2 elk with the Barnes 200 grain X bullet, 1 elk with the Barnes 225 X, 1 elk with the Barnes 250 X, 2 elk with the Hornady 250 Interlok spire point and 1 elk with my now "Holy Grail" of all elk bullets for the 35 Whelen AI- the Barnes 200 TTSX.

The 200 TTSX is a flat shooter (2925 fps mv), penetrates as well or better as any 250 grain traditional lead core bullet, shoots a 2 1/4" 3 shot group at 300 yds, and with a 3" high at 100yds sight in, is down 2.5" at 300 yds. This is from repeatedly shooting at that distance, so regardless of ballistics and BC, that is the real world deal. That is as good or better than my pet 300 Win Mag shooting 200 grain bullets was back in my early years of magnum craziness.

Anyway, gonna give my .270 Win a rest at least one day during antelope season this year, and carry the Whelen AI as a warm up for elk season. Should be fun!

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Are water jugs a good test medium?

There are no water jug seasons near me. first hand accounts of bullet performance on real game, would seem to make more sense.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Water jug seasons are good because they're year around and the bag limit is.... well, unlimited.

Here in my State, I can kill a total of about 6 big game animals a year, that is IF you are lucky enought to be drawn. I applied for everything but black bear last year and drew for deer and cow elk. This year I drew only a cow elk tag. I know a couple of guys that haven;t drawn anything in two years.

I save jugs.

Reactions: Tnhunter

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Hearing such things makes me cringe a bit.... In Tennessee where I live we are allowed 3 does a day for over 100 days (with proper tags that cost about $50.) There are no restrictions as to who, in state, can hunt (licensed, of course). We can also take three bucks here, with no antler restrictions, save the one that shows IT'S A BUCK!

In neighboring Kentucky, we are allowed 1 buck and 1 doe, but additional doe tags are always available. My family is not particularly fond of venison, but we waste nothing. I have had friends that have "ordered" deer from me for years and I am happy to oblige. I do feel sorry for those who cannot even hunt deer in their own state....:(

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Yeah, like you Tnhunter, I've grown up and lived in states where deer hunting was open to anyone who had the money to buy a license. I do remember a time in Mississippi when we couldn't kill any does at all. Then I remember their being a "Doe Day" each year where folks could kill a doe, then it went up to two doe days per year. Then it changed to more like today where we have a limit of 5 antlerless and 3 bucks per year for rifles. If you also hunt archery, you can get a couple/few more, IIRC (I haven't hunted with a bow in many years so I don't keep up with that). We do have antler restrictions, though. The rack must be at least 12" wide (basically as wide as the deer's ears when they're out like he's listening to you).

Some of the older folks where I grew up remember a time when there were NO deer around. There was a reintroduction program where they brought in trailers of whitetails and released them into the national forest nearby. My grandfather told me he remembered seeing the trailers with deer and knew some of the folks who were working on the reintroduction program. He said that after the deer were reintroduced, it was a number of years before they had enough population to open hunting seasons.

Here in Alabama, we can get a doe per hunting day and three bucks per year. There is a restriction in that one of your three bucks must meet some minimum requirements... it has to have four points (or more) on one side that are at least 1" long. So, you can get two spikes if you want but then have to hold out until you see one that meets the requirements in order to get the third.

In both states, anyone can get a license to hunt deer and that's about $25 or so for resident license per year. Out of state license is a bit higher (in MS, it's $300, or used to be... I haven't had to get one in a number of years since I got my lifetime license).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Built a 35 Whelen in 1966 on a 1903 Mk I action. For years it wore a Lyman Peep Sight, but with aging eyes about 3 years ago I had the bolt turn and mounted a scope. Also has a Timney Trigger. My still favorite bullet for it is the old Speer 250gr Spitzer over RL15. Shoots 3.4" 5 shot groups. It has taken a truckload of deer and elk as well as 2 black bears.

Have taken game to 325 yds (Lazed) with it, and the 35 Whelen will always be my go to game rifle. (have 20 others, but keep going back to it)

Barstool(er)

Attachments

Reactions: Tnhunter

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
It's hard to believe after all the years of shooting and reloading/casting bullets I overlooked the Whelen. Someone on the Nosler forum got me turned onto one and I found a super nice Remington 700 Classic and bought it. I was overjoyed as it looked much nicer than the photos. Now, if I can ever get back to the range to try it out. I have 30 rounds ready with 225 and 250 Nosler bullets backed up by
RL15.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
It's hard to believe after all the years of shooting and reloading/casting bullets I overlooked the Whelen. Someone on the Nosler forum got me turned onto one and I found a super nice Remington 700 Classic and bought it. I was overjoyed as it looked much nicer than the photos. Now, if I can ever get back to the range to try it out. I have 30 rounds ready with 225 and 250 Nosler bullets backed up by
RL15.

CONGRATS! You are gonna LOVE THAT RIFLE!! :D

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Yeah, like you Tnhunter, I've grown up and lived in states where deer hunting was open to anyone who had the money to buy a license. I do remember a time in Mississippi when we couldn't kill any does at all. Then I remember their being a "Doe Day" each year where folks could kill a doe, then it went up to two doe days per year. Then it changed to more like today where we have a limit of 5 antlerless and 3 bucks per year for rifles. If you also hunt archery, you can get a couple/few more, IIRC (I haven't hunted with a bow in many years so I don't keep up with that). We do have antler restrictions, though. The rack must be at least 12" wide (basically as wide as the deer's ears when they're out like he's listening to you).

Some of the older folks where I grew up remember a time when there were NO deer around. There was a reintroduction program where they brought in trailers of whitetails and released them into the national forest nearby. My grandfather told me he remembered seeing the trailers with deer and knew some of the folks who were working on the reintroduction program. He said that after the deer were reintroduced, it was a number of years before they had enough population to open hunting seasons.

Here in Alabama, we can get a doe per hunting day and three bucks per year. There is a restriction in that one of your three bucks must meet some minimum requirements... it has to have four points (or more) on one side that are at least 1" long. So, you can get two spikes if you want but then have to hold out until you see one that meets the requirements in order to get the third.

In both states, anyone can get a license to hunt deer and that's about $25 or so for resident license per year. Out of state license is a bit higher (in MS, it's $300, or used to be... I haven't had to get one in a number of years since I got my lifetime license).
Shane where are you in Alabama?
I've hunted in the Union Springs area.
Jim

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Since posting that picture of my Whelen above I've changed out the mounts and rings from the Weaver style to Leupold DD mounts and 2-piece DD rings. Never did like Weaver rings and mounts. Those Leupold DD's are a pain to put on and takes more strength than I have so got my Herculean neighbor come over and twist on the bottom rings. there must be an easier way but, they do look good now.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I stumbled onto a vintage Remington Model 30 that's got to be one of the oldest 35 Whelen conversions. This gun came out of Idaho, I picked it up at a small gun shop in south Louisiana last year. The action is like butter, you can literally work the action with the palm of your hand. Shoots great too. Whoever did the work was master at what he did. I'll try to get pics of it tomorrow posted. No scope on this gun, it wears a Lyman peep of the same vintage as the rest of the gun.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Is there any other way to work the bolt?

J.K. But over the years and several thousand rounds I've found myself doing it that way on my model 7 Rem, AND catching the ejected brass between my middle and ring fingers. NEVER thought/planned of doing it, it just started happening. Total instinct and muscle memory, if I try and think about doing it, IT WON'T HAPPEN.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Since posting that picture of my Whelen above I've changed out the mounts and rings from the Weaver style to Leupold DD mounts and 2-piece DD rings. Never did like Weaver rings and mounts. Those Leupold DD's are a pain to put on and takes more strength than I have so got my Herculean neighbor come over and twist on the bottom rings. there must be an easier way but, they do look good now.
Use a dowel rod and it should be no problem. Just make sure you get them aligned perfectly before tightening up the scope.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Shane 256:

Your post stirred some old memories for me. Before relocating to California, in the 1980s I hunted in SW MS and the president of the club told me that he saw his first whitetail when he was in high school in the late 50s. His dad did not believe him. I still hunt in MS on my farm in Carroll County.

I do think MS has gone too far in bag limits and season length now. MS has done away with the primitive weapons season this year. You can use any weapon of choice. I really enjoyed hunting w/ blackpowder guns because woods were quiet; most hunters stayed home. Even when they started allowing single shot centerfire exposed hammer rifles of 35 caliber or larger, the primitive weapons season was still fun. I think the paper companies are exerting undue influence on the legislators to reduce deer populations, because of concerns about their little pine plantations.

BTW, out of state license in MS is now $375, even if you own land there. :(

61 - 80 of 82 Posts