Shooters Forum banner

81 - 82 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Yup. I wish I could have afforded my lifetime license while I was still living in-state. I ended up getting a non-resident "Native Son" license, which is the same thing, just 3x as expensive. The good news is that it paid itself off two years ago. Last year I hunted "free" for the first time.

Yeah, they are allowing any weapons on private land during primitive weapons season now. There's still a WMA in the SW that allows only bows and muzzle loaders, although you can have modern inlines. We actually hunt there a lot. Never seen so many ducks down there in my life. One morning, for fun, I counted over 1000 ducks fly over in about 15 minutes... they get so loud that you have to yell to talk to folks. Plenty of hogs down there, too.

There's some big bucks up in the delta. I think the antler restrictions have helped, though. I usually see a number of bucks each year now. Most are too small, some so close that I have to let them walk because I'm not sure, but there are a few legal ones. I've been able to fill my freezer every year for a while now... I get a couple/few does for the freezer around Thanksgiving if I can and then hunt bucks around Christmas.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Dunno... I've seen, literally, hundreds of deer killed with either a .35 Rem or a .30-30 and have done a few of those myself. I wouldn't hesitate to use either one. Shot placement is more important than either .35 or .30. However, I might could be talked into arguing that trailing runners from the .35 Rem is usually easier and usually shorter than the .30-30 ;)
That was the reason I took up with the 35’s. Where I hunt if a deer runs more than 100 yards he can fall in posted property. I needed short copious blood trails and found the 35s provided that in spades. Very rarely have I had to shoot any animal more than once. They don’t shoot up a lot of meat either. I do not find the recoil objectionable either as I started hunting deer with shotguns. Count me a 35 fan. Never met one I didn’t like.

81 - 82 of 82 Posts