Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should re-state my question:
My daughter will be shooting a TC Cherokee @ 4H nationals.
.45 cal, 24" Barrel max charge allowed at the competition is 60 gr & must be patch & pall.

Because she also will be doing silhouette, I would like to get the velocity up as high as (accurately) possible to compensate for the light ball.

Thanks

Ed

·
Registered
925 Posts
I'm assuming that the only powder that can be used is the real stuff, no Pyrodex or T7. Going from that point then you want to use one of the premium powders, Swiss or Schuetzen powder. Theh from that starting point you will have to tune patch thickness, material, and lube till you get the velocity you want. Used swaged ball as they tend to be more unifore in density and roundness.

Make sure the lock is tuned for minium lock time(very fast) so ignition is uniform. And trigger pull is crisp with no creep.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well they can use any powder they want.
If I find a fast powder I will tune the load etc.
I am guessing that I should stick with the .440 ball & vary patch thickness.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
"If I find a fast powder"

Powders of the same granulation burn at essentially the same speed. One thing that you can do is go to a finer granulation. FFFg should give good results at that charge weight.
If BP "substitute" powders are allowed, Triple Seven has a reputation for being more energetic than the rest.
Pete

·
Registered
558 Posts
keep in mind though that with T7 its famous for burning up patches.

I used to shoot a cva mtn rifle .45 with 60gr 3f goex with a .440 round ball and .015 patch. Excellent accuracy at 100 yards with it. Got to worry more about load development... not velocity.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone here for the responses. Yes, accuracy is #1, can't tip a silhouette if you don't hit it!
I've been told that the Swiss BP has a little more punch per volume because it has a little more weight per volume.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.