1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,759 Posts
Yes it is!!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,956 Posts
Typical "low bid" government contractor.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
In Electronics, EVERYTHING is Temperature Sensitive to some degree.

Before the end of the Cold War, Military proposed Equipment was specified for operation over a -55 degree to +125 Degree Centigrade; and tested to that range and beyond.

After the 'cold War' was declared over the Budgets were cut to pass the "Peace Dividend" to other Government Priorities and "COTS" became a Mantra of Supply and Procurement.
Commercial Equipment is NOT usually specified for anywhere near the old Military temperature range and is not tested as completely to boot.

Does any one remember the Early Liquid Crystal displays responses to either High or Low Temperatures?
What about Cold Weather Battery performance?
For those who live in Arctic winters, how do you insure your Vehicle battery wil be ready to start your Vehicle if needed in a hurry?

I would bet The sights were procured to COTS procurement requirements and Commercial temperature is Zero to 70 degrees Centigrade. Consumer intended equipment is designed for even narrower temperature Range.

No government Employees will be disciplined in this Procur4ment and Acceptance testing Failure, in my Opinion. Even though Military Personnel were put to unnecessary risk of Injury or Death, 'civilian" employees are "Not Responsible" for their Actions within their Job description.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

·
Banned
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I was in, the M16A1 was not nearly as reliable as the ARs of today are. Or so I'm told. I don't own one, and will never trust them. I would prefer either a piston AR or an M1A.

But the idea of an unreliable sight on an M16 (I never saw an M4) makes me shudder. It sounds to me like an unreliable sight on an unreliable weapon.

Of course no one will be prosecuted. (I don't know about disciplined.) If a government employee, be it a cop, a buyer, (what we called them in my day) the officer who oversaw the project, or anyone else was acting in good faith (meaning they didn't, say, take bribes) then they shouldn't be prosecuted. Think what such a prosecution would lead to: no one with any amount of brains would take the job, and the job would be filled by idiots. It would be filled, oh, yes, but no one with a college degree or any common sense would apply. Not if an honest mistake lands you in prison.

Their punishment is worse. They get to live with the results.

The way I read that article, there are, at the moment, no documented deaths attributable to the sight.

Reactions: will52100

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
JammerSix,
I agree with your general comments but also disagree with how the two sides are treated separately.
The government did Not Specify nor Test the sights over FULL Temperature Extremes and now is Prosecuting the Vendor for Providing what they SAID they Wanted.

Similar to how the EPA Went after Lockheed Aircraft Corporation in the 1980s for Following Government Directives during WW2 and later Secret Production in the Disposal of solvents and surplus chemicals to prevent 'outsiders' learning what Was Used.

Lockheed 'Paid' and Moved the Burbank Plants out of State. Lots of good High Pay Jobs Left the Area and now we have a Shopping Center on the old plant property, with a lot less Employees and at lower Pay.

Just Saying,
Chev. William

·
Registered
141 Posts
Great!

I used to have only a few excuses for missing the target on range day. Now I can plead "defective sight."!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Temperature Effects seem not Applicable to all steel "Iron Sights".
There IS the problem with Glass Optics condensing Moisture on the Lens surfaces.
Electronic Sights WILL have Temperature related Variations, just how much and at what temperatures are they Manifested is in Question.

Back in the 1970's, if a Consumer Electronic Part cost $1.00, a Military Temperature range tested and Certified one cost about $32 and a 'Space Qualified" part cost something over $400. Some A LOT more.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

·
Registered
470 Posts
sub standard parts and I really don't remember the whole list since I only skimmed it in passing last year. Sorry I really don't have much interest in AR platforms.
If you come across the link again Id be interested in reading it. I hadn't heard about that.

It isn't related to the piece published in The Atlantic about the fight at Wanat was it?

·
Registered
350 Posts
This is not a case of " low bid contractor " but a company that has been sucking up and buying out other smaller firms almost all of which are approved military contractors. L3 is very large company, part of the Loral group, and apparently feels that the easier way into Uncle SAM's pockets is not through engineering better products but by buying existing technology and playing the military purchasing game. Grab the contract with low numbers then grow it with legal challenges, delays and revisions. In the end the product costs three to ten times more. My wife and some others I know who have worked for long standing firms that made good military products, for ever it seems, watched their company taken over, re-shuffled upstairs and older vested experienced workers that cost too much to keep forced out. Often the company is gutted, assets sold off and the engineering and production capability scattered about into other facilities. Henschel Electric is a perfect example of a company that made electrical switches, controllers and other devices found on almost every USN ship since WW II that were sucked up by L3 Communications.

·
Registered
289 Posts
This is NOT the company that makes this military sight, Level 3 Communications, Level 3 Communications | Network Services

If you use the internet you probably use Level 3 fiber optic connections for some of your traffic.

L3 Communications and Level 3 Communications are different separate companies with no connections between them. They have been confused before. Level 3 Communications stock symbol is LVLT and L3 site is L-3 Communications | and the stock symbol is LLL.

·
Registered
350 Posts
This is NOT the company that makes this military sight, Level 3 Communications, Level 3 Communications | Network Services

If you use the internet you probably use Level 3 fiber optic connections for some of your traffic.

L3 Communications and Level 3 Communications are different separate companies with no connections between them. They have been confused before. Level 3 Communications stock symbol is LVLT and L3 site is L-3 Communications | and the stock symbol is LLL.
Not sure what you're saying or who your comments are directed to. But I'm talking L3 Com and they are a big military contractor part of the Loral Group. The original news link above is pretty explicit.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Lll & lvlt

"Not sure what you're saying or who your comments are directed to. But I'm talking L3 Com and they are a big military contractor part of the Loral Group. The original news link above is pretty explicit."

All I was trying to do was show that these two companies often get confused by folks and that L3 and Level 3 are two different entities with NO connections. I don't know how I could make it any clearer than this.

·
Registered
350 Posts
"Not sure what you're saying or who your comments are directed to. But I'm talking L3 Com and they are a big military contractor part of the Loral Group. The original news link above is pretty explicit."

All I was trying to do was show that these two companies often get confused by folks and that L3 and Level 3 are two different entities with NO connections. I don't know how I could make it any clearer than this.
I understand now. actually a good point.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts