Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered something rather alarming on my Ruger Bisley. I had a reputable gunsmith perform an action smoothing and trigger job on it about a year and a half ago. I just read the "Poor Boy's Trigger Job" on gunblast.com and thought I would see if both of my trigger return springs were still attached and try his suggestion of pushing up on the hammer while pulling the trigger. Well I discovered that both springs were still attached but the alarming part was that by pushing up on the hammer I caused it to trip without even touching the trigger. I do not think it should do that, should it? I realize that if the gun were dropped while cocked and it hit the hammer the gun would not likely fire because the transfer bar would be out of the way and the hammer could not connect with the firing pin but it still makes me nervous. The gunsmith must have done some stoning. Did he do too much? Thanks, Brian C.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Brian:
You definitely have an unsafe condition there.  You absolutely should not be able to push the cocked hammer forward with anything short of a large sledge.  The first step at this point would be to take weapon back to gunsmith who did the work and demand that he fix it.  He may proclaim that the problem is "kitchen table gunsmithing" by the owner, which is a problem in some cases.  However, it never should have left his shop in that condition.  If he dodges responsibility for the problem, you should remove the word "reputable" from your description of him and start searching for a replacement hammer.
Good shooting
Mark

1 - 2 of 2 Posts