Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now loading for the .375 H&H and would like to take advantage of the experience of those who frequent these pages. What loads do you use for:
Elk and Moose?
Brown/Grizzly Bear?
Africa, Plains and Dangerous Game?
All-around load?

Thank you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
In my Ruger #1, my most used rifle, come to think of it what is an elk? a grizzly? moose? I shoot coyotes with my .375..and rabbits...and turtles...and hogs...occasional deer...don't restrict your .375 to what other humans perceive as "practical"! Use it on everything!

I have one favorite powder charge, safe in my Ruger but MAY NOT BE SAFE WITH NEWER COMPONENTS AND THIS LOAD IS CURRENTLY LISTED AS WELL OVER MAXIMUM IN SOME MANUALS I'VE SEEN...it's 81.0 grs IMR-4350 over a Federal Large Rifle Magnum primer, loaded in W-W brass. I use two bullets with this charge, one is the 300 gr Sierra BTSP for turtles, jackrabbits, and coyotes (it pretty much blows apart on impact, is constructed like a varmint bullet, and doesn't seem to have much tendency to ricochet), and the 285 gr Speer Grand Slam for anything that I perceive as edible.

These bullets on top of the mentioned components do 3/4" at 100 yards from my Ruger #1. I hope to have a Winchester Model 70 in .375 H&H soon, too...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Jackfish,

I also have a Ruger No. 1 in .375 and I have two loads that I have developed.  The first is with a 300 gr. Barnes Original SP (I bought 1,000 several years ago and use them for plinking) and it consists of 65 grains of IMR 4064, W-W cases and CCI 250 primers seated to just off the lands about .030".  I shoots about 2500fps (just under) and groups at about 1 1/4" for 3 shots.

The second is my elk load, as I have never shot anything bigger.  It consists of 260 grain Nosler partitions in front of 71 gr. of RL-15 and CCI-250 primers.  It shoots 1" or less with considerably less recoil than the 300 gr. loads.  It is about 2,700 fps, if I remember correctly.  Nice load.

dclark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts