Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I'm looking for some serious medicine for my .454 taurus, 330gr and up. Marshall has several .454 bullets around 350gr., what is your favorite? These will be used for close to max loads to carry while fishing in Alaska. Also any favorite loads for these?

Thanks.

EricG

·
Registered
51 Posts
Eric
I have been loading a 360 wfngc over 24.5 g of H-110 for 1450 fps out of my 7 1/2 FA Revolver I shoot a 2X scope and can get 3-4 in groups at 100 yds (the gun shoots better than I do) I would assume for carrying purposes you may be shooting a shorter barrel without a scope. I would think you could still expect 1300+ from a short barrel. I would also look at the 405g cast , if you can get it up above 1000 fps it ought to be a major hitter. John Linebaughs tests for bullets above 400 g are showing some amazing penetration when fires at 1000 to 1100 fps. Increased speed does'nt seem to equal greater penetration. Sorry I don't have data for the 405g as I'm using mine as a hunting weapon and not defense.
www.sixgunner/linebaugh.com
is the web site look into the 2001 siminar/penetration tests
The load data section lists a load for the 405g bullet at 1300 fps. that should handle anything you can land with a fly rod

1 - 2 of 2 Posts