Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody sent barrels off to any of the various places that advertise cyrogenic treatment? The only one I've heard of is 300 Below, and they don't list prices on the web site. A couple of other places had prices in the range of $50 plus return shipping.

Finally got around to pulling the barrel on my .444 Marlin, which has a tendency to throw the first shot from a cold barrel 4 - 6 MOA high. It's been lapped and had everything else I can think of done to it, so time to go in the freezer I guess.

Experiences / comments welcome.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,225 Posts
A writeup on Kenny Jarrett and his rifles in one of the gun rags quoted him saying the cyro treatment is just a gimmick and cold treatment doens't do anything to steel. Only heat affects the steel. For what its worth.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
There is as many for as against. I know from personal experience cutting tools last considerably longer after being cyro'ed. Any benefit for castings isn't discernable.

Jay Fetig in Vale SD does it and is reasonable. Give him a call at 605-391-0499. A good guy and will be truthful about any benefits.

·
Premium Member
5,427 Posts
A writeup on Kenny Jarrett and his rifles in one of the gun rags quoted him saying the cyro treatment is just a gimmick and cold treatment doens't do anything to steel. Only heat affects the steel. For what its worth.
About ten years ago I had a Savage model 10FLP; the 'tactical' lefty .223. [pre accu trigger]
The gun would constantly, consistantly, throw the SECOND shot off target, about 8". It was sent back to Savage, who checked it thoroughly, and concluded it was a crown issue [not]:confused:

they re-cut the crown on the barrel, sent it back...same results. The optics were checked, from base to rings to scope...all were in perfect working order. the cheesy plastic stock was bedded, free floated, but still, the second shot would fly. Tried different loading scenarios, neck sizing, yada, yada....nothing.

I cannot recall the name of the place I sent the gun, but it was somewhere in Ill. They dismounted the barreled action, and did the cryo treatment, Think it cost about $ 250.00?

Did nothing.

I ended up trading the same gun for something else at a dealer [model 700 lefty, .308].

Hindsight being crystal clear, perhaps firelapping [which I did not know about at the time] would have fixed my troubles....who knows????

My point is I dont think that I don't think it reall did anything to my $500 Savage, except sink more money into it.

let me check my records, and if I still have the receipt, I'll pm you the info.

·
38,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
300 Below is in Illinois, so it may have been them. Since I already pulled the barrel I'm hoping it will be reasonably priced...

Thanks for the leads.

·
Premium Member
5,427 Posts
I'm really not sure, but I do not think that was the company. I later used the same company to spray and bake an AR15 for me, going to look for that receipt too.

What memory???????????????:confused:

·
38,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it's in the mail to 300 Below. They don't have prices on their web site but they quoted me $80 over the phone which includes return shipping.

While it was out of the receiver, I spent a couple of hours improving the fit where it screws into the receiver. The face of the receiver was quite rough so I made a scraper out of a needle file and screwed the barrel in and out a few dozen times by hand between working down the high spots. Layout blue was used to show contact. If you've never hand scraped anything it is an agonizingly slow way to remove metal.

It isn't perfect and in fact probably is less than 50% contact, but I would estimate it started out at less than 10% and mostly on one side at that. Probably wasn't helping things. I guess I shouldn't change 2 things at once, but I didn't want to waste a trip to the range either.

So we'll see.....

·
Premium Member
5,427 Posts
While I was able to find a pic of the OD AR-15, I was not able to find the bills. I'm thinking I gave them to whom I sold/traded the guns???????????

Stil trying to remember the name, but in the mean time, I'm hoping yours comes out well. Shaving may actuall do more than you think.
Gettin the surfaces to mate properly might be half the fight.

+++UPDATE+++

I believe these were the guys, but i do not see anything on the site about Cryo anymore...

http://www.mrarms.com/index.html

·
38,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could be. If the .444 shoots great when it gets screwed back together, I may pull the barrel on the .30-30 and see how out of square it is with the receiver.

·
38,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the barrel got back Friday night just as I was leaving town. It's screwed back into the receiver and I'm going to let the threadlocker set for a day or so and head to the range. I put the stud that holds the mag tube back in with threadlocker (the blue medium strength stuff) as these tend to shoot loose with heavy recoiling guns.

The barrel threads got a light coating of moly auto grease. The shoulder of the barrel, after being degreased (along with the face of the receiver) got a light coating of blue threadlocker. This was necessary because after I got enough metal off the face of the receiver to get maybe 80% contact with the barrel shoulder, I couldn't tighten the barrel enough without overrunning my index mark. This with substantially less torque than it took to get the barrel off the first time.

Right now I'm about half or three-quarters of a 'dimple' past where it was when I took it off. The index mark was made with a sheetrock screw (don't laugh, they have a sharp point and are hard as heck) so we are not talking about a lot of rotation. Couple of degrees at most. The threadlocker seals the gap as well as provides some rust protection. I also cold blued the threads and barrel shoulder and receiver where the bluing was worn off. Mic McPherson recommends both (cold bluing and medium strength threadlocker) in his book, "Accurizing the Factory Rifle."

Hope that makes sense. I'm going to shoot it with the forend off, first, to see if the cold barrel flyers go away. Hope it goes well........

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,225 Posts
Good luck, Mike - after all this, it should shoot better. If not, you can always use it to stir the mesquite coals in the fire pit! :D

·
38,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah it's going to get a new barrel if this doesn't straighten out the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.