Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have more Rifles that I can use, but that's Ok.. My favorite is my Winchester Model 70, .270 win. Burris 2X10X42 34mm tube, (FFP) What's everyone else use? DSCN0763.jpg

DSCN0762.jpg This is mainly for Michigan, shots out to 200 yards.. I have a Tikka T3 in .300 WSM for out West.. Nikon Black X1000, 6X24X50 30mm tube..

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,998 Posts
A different rifle was used each trip so's they wouldn't get rusty hanging out it the vault. :)

Merely punch paper anymore. When hunting with grandson, will borrow his Swede 6.5x55 that I customized for him years ago and still reload ammo for him if desiring to shoot something. The urge to kill isn't strong anymore - enjoy being with the grandson and watching him take whatever it is he's hunting.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
An Abolt stainless stalker in 25-06 probably claims that title, almost by default. Started using it out of curiosity and was so pleased by the results, it's my go to rifle. Lost count of mule deer, whitetail and antelope it's taken. Been used by several novice hunters to take their first deer too.

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
I picked up a new "favorite" deer rifle just today....lol. But if I had to say right now, it wouldn't be my nicest rifle, wouldn't be my most expensive rifle and it wouldn't be my prettiest rifle. But, it would be my BLR 81 in .358. The 225gr Sierra groups under 1" at 100 yards, and at 2500FPS gives the rifle a 300 yard capability. Pretty light, pretty compact and should I need a 2nd shot, very fast to respond.

·
Super Moderator
3,810 Posts
Hard to pick just one rifle because several have sentimental value and perform so well at the range and in the woods. The front runner is an FN commercial Mauser bolt action that was rebarreled into a .280 Remington by a local gunsmith. The runner up is a Winchester Model 70 (post '64) in .270 Winchester that I bought used when I worked in a gun shop many years ago. Then there is sporterized Springfield 1903 in .30-06 that is just beautiful. You get the idea. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
435 Posts
Unfortunately, my favorite rifle for deer hunting is the next one! It's a sickness. My wife would appreciate if any of you could recommend a cure.

Seriously, I use a 783 Remington long action in 375 Carp and a Leupold 4x12. My favorite longer range rig. For walking around in the woods I like my Marlin 1894PG in 44 Mag with a Leupould 2x7.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have two. The first is my Harrington and Richardson Ultra Bolt Action. It has an FN Supreme action and is Manliccher stock. It is gorgeous and sooo accurate. The second in my newly acquired Sako Manliccher in 7mm Magnum. I haven't got it out to the woods yet but it performed admirably at the range. MOA rifle, gotta love it.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
mine is a winchester m94 in 35/30-30. JES Reboring did the caliber and i put on a williams fp aperture sight.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Have several favorites, just depends on terrain and how I depend to hunt.
H&R 340 (Yugo Mauser 98) in .308 Win
Marlin 1894S in .41 Mag
AR15s 14.5"/20" in 5.56mm

CD

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
My favorite Deer rifle is my Ruger Model 77 Compact Magnum in .308. I own several other rifles that I also like to shoot & hunt with, but mostly the Ruger is my first choice for Deer. For small game: my .22 LR CZ-452 or my .410-3" shotguns, covers all small game hunting.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My "lucky" deer rifle is a single shot CVA Hunter in 45-70 (Ohio is limited to straight wall cartridges). It has taken several deer for several people. So far no one has ever missed a deer with this rifle, or needed a second shot for that matter. Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way!

My biggest buck was taken with it, using a bullet I cast and loaded myself. Pretty proud of this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I seem to be always trying something new but usually fall back on a Remington 700 Buckmasters in 7-08 I've had for quite a few years, it wears a Leupold 4x12 scope with LRD reticle, the most dependable deer rifle I've ever owned.

Last year I picked up a Sauer 100 Atacama in 6.5 prc, very accurate and easy on the shoulder.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I've taken over 40 deer and a few elk with this one. Started out as a Rem 700 ADL back in 73. Now wears a Hart 26" tube and Bishop stock. 7 mag and likes 162 gr Hornady sp.
And I still use other rifles that I have for different hunts in recent yr's but the 7 is my favorite.

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
Ive hunted with about everything you could think of but in my later years I've come across a Remington 722 in 300 Savage and it has become my favorite deer rifle.

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
While a favorite deer rifle can be special for lots of different reasons, I've always enjoyed hunting with lots of different rifles. I did mention a favorite, my .358 BLR, but that opinion is one that might change at any moment.

I knew that I'd bought a good number "deer" rifles since last May, but I even surprised myself when I made a list... lol

Deer rifles since May 2019:
1. Henry lever 45-70
2. Henry single shot 45-70
3. Marlin XS7 .308
4. Rem M600 .308
5. Ruger #1A 30/06
6. Weatherby MKV Classic 30/06
7. Sako M85 Classic 30/06
8. Win M70 SS Featherweight dark maple 30/06
9. Sako M85 SS Hunter .308
10. Custom commercial Mauser .270
11. Custom commercial Mauser .280