Shooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
11,945 Posts
While I can't match Tnhunter for new candidates for the favorite rifle role, I have hunted with probaby 20 different rifles in various chamberings over the years.

A favorite rifle has to click a lot of different boxes for me. All the same, like TN, I'm always on the look out for my next "favorite rifle"!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
While a favorite deer rifle can be special for lots of different reasons, I've always enjoyed hunting with lots of different rifles. I did mention a favorite, my .358 BLR, but that opinion is one that might change at any moment.

I knew that I'd bought a good number "deer" rifles since last May, but I even surprised myself when I made a list... lol

Deer rifles
1. Henry lever 45-70
2. Henry single shot 45-70
3. Marlin XS7 .308
4. Rem M600 .308
5. Ruger #1A 30/06
6. Weatherby MKV Classic 30/06
7. Sako M85 Classic 30/06
8. Win M70 SS Featherweight dark maple 06
9. Sako M85 SS Hunter .308
10. Custom commercial Mauser .270
11. Custom commercial Mauser .280
12. CVA Hunter 7/08
13. ** M70 Super Grade bored to .358

Big game rifles
1. SS Hawkeye in .338 RCM
2. Sako M85 Kodiak .338WM
Looks like My list..lol never have too many..

·
Registered
25 Posts
You guys will laugh but my favorite deer rifle is an old synthetic Remington 7400 that's had the Monte trimmed off and is dead nuts on the irons, with 150s, to about 300 yards. Runs perfect and is good for about 1 1/4 MOA for the first three rounds. Shown here with a Burris 2-7, but crappy weather is the rule here through the hunting season and irons are about all I use on it.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
sarge mo

No reason to laugh, 7400's are very popular in some parts of the country and lots of deer are put in the freezer with them every year. I like them because it's just like shooting an 1100.

·
Registered
292 Posts
1. Rem 788 in .308 W, w/ 3-9x scope (for open areas w/ shots beyond 100 yds.)
2. AR-pattern MSR in 300 BLK w/2-7x (for areas with shots < 125 yds.)
3. Model 94 Winchester in .30-30 w/ iron sights (still hunting or stand w/ shots < 50 yds.)

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,470 Posts
Dark timber, shots under 100 yards: 700 Classic, 25-06, 2.5-10x55 Leopold

Open sagebrush flats, shots to 500 yards: ". "

From the deck: ". "

Everywhere else: ". ".

RJ

·
Registered
335 Posts
Since I've never hunted deer, perhaps I don't have any standing to post here. But, I've got a good story:

Several years ago, an elderly friend sold me all of his firearms since he was donating his house to his daughter and was going to move into an apartment.

One of the rifles he sold me was a vintage 1947 Winchester model 94 in 32 Win SPL. He said his father gave it to him in 1947 for his 14th birthday in Pennsylvania where he lived and hunted.

He told me he took between 70-80 deer with that rifle.

Pic:

My friend is now in a dementia facility and I visit him regularly...

Bayou52

·
Registered
253 Posts
favorite deer rifle

My favorite deer rifle is usually the last one that I bought. However, I do use different rifles depending where I hunt. But for my local Pennsylvania hunting, I love to hunt with an old favorite that has produced dozens of kills, my Ruger 77 tang safety RSI in a 308 Win. It is light, short, well balanced and accurate.

·
Registered
558 Posts
For a long time my 1959 Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 with an original 4x Leupold Scope was my favorite. I spent many years hunting jack rabbits with it just before deer season to 'tune up' and it always performed. We brought back a goodly number of mule dear with it too. As you can see, it's been carried a lot.

That changed when I found a 'grail' rifle I'd searched for for over 20 years; a pristine condition Winchester Model 88 in .308. It's Winchester's last lever action design and I think the lines are beautiful. I love leverguns and this one is a peach. All I did was add a Revolution 3x9 scope (aging eyes) and it's a sweet shooter but in truth, I'm too old to go out hunting anymore and the stock is too pretty to mar up in the forest.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've had my Remington 788 (.308) since 1970. It's taken many whitetails, a couple of boar and black bear. I found that 180 gr. CoreLokt's are accurate and very effective. Simple rifle, simple ammo and simply wonderful. It's just a shame that my kids have no interest in hunting. It's one that should be passed down.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Sako Forester in .243 Win with mannlicher stock and 3x7x33 Leupold shooting 90 gr Speer Deep Curl bullets...works every time!

·
Registered
79 Posts
This is like saying who is your favorite child! I would likely pick my Winchester pre64 M70 in 30-06. However, a couple of years ago I bought a Winchester 70fw in 6.5x55 and I love it! As an older guy, the minimal recoil is great. I will also say that the FN made Winchesters are very nice. I have a Zeiss scope sitting on top.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
That changed when I found a 'grail' rifle I'd searched for for over 20 years; a pristine condition Winchester Model 88 in .308. It's Winchester's last lever action design and I think the lines are beautiful. I love leverguns and this one is a peach. All I did was add a Revolution 3x9 scope (aging eyes) and it's a sweet shooter but in truth, I'm too old to go out hunting anymore and the stock is too pretty to mar up in the forest.

That 88 was quite the find, you should watch the online gunsites for a box, even though it wouldn't be the correct serial number it would add to the value and just be...cool. Unless you already have a box?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Favorite deer rifles.

I would have to say my first choice is my Mauser Mark X chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. Stocked with fajen wood It wears a Burris 3X9 and has never failed me. My next favorite is a pre 64 Model 70 Winchester in 264 win mag. This rifle shoots as flat as can be. Actually, I have taken more antelope than deer with it but I love this old rifle. I used to shoot a sporterized 1917 Eddystone in 3006 that I bought from my friend. I took many deer, antelope, and elk with it. But it was very heavy (which I didn't realize when I was younger).

21 - 40 of 61 Posts