Shooters Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hands down I would have to say my Thompson Contender with an 18" MGM custom 30/30 barrel on it, sitting on top of it is a Trijicon 2.5-10 x 56 Accupoint scope. Stupid accurate and easy to carry.

My Win M70 in '06 was my go to for many years, but after getting my shoulders done it beats me up a bit so I don't shoot it a lot anymore. And for that reason (shoulder) I bought a Tikka Tx3 Stainless fluted with a wood stock in 6.5 creedmoor a couple months ago, put a Burris Fulfield E1 6.5-20 x 50 on it, need to play with it and get ready for this years deer season.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My go to rifle is a M70 in .270 Win that I bought at Walmart on sale for $300.00. I put a Nikon 3-9X40 scope on it and have never looked back. I shoot 140gr Barnes TSX through it...

·
Registered
332 Posts
I don't have a "favorite" deer rifle. My 30-06 inherited from my dad when he died is one that I am very fond of but I have a 257 Roberts on a Browning A-Bolt that is a great rifle and a custom 358 Winchester on a 700 action that is a tack driver. They all work well on deer or most anything else I hunt but a favorite? Nope!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hard to say. Ironically, I still grab one of my lever 30-30s most often. Probably my Steyr/Mannlicher in 30-06 rates fairly high. It’s never easy for me to choose my favorite for anything. Especially when it comes to firearms. I love them all. If I had to, I’d have to say all my 30-06 rifles. I own three and may likely get a fourth. I can never escape the lure of owning another rifle in 30-06. My next one will be the Winchester model 70 Super maple. Who knows maybe I’ll get a .243 for deer. Or maybe a 6.5 precision rifle.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Hard to say. Ironically, I still grab one of my lever 30-30s most often. Probably my Steyr/Mannlicher in 30-06 rates fairly high. It’s never easy for me to choose my favorite for anything. Especially when it comes to firearms. I love them all. If I had to, I’d have to say all my 30-06 rifles. I own three and may likely get a fourth. I can never escape the lure of owning another rifle in 30-06. My next one will be the Winchester model 70 Super maple. Who knows maybe I’ll get a .243 for deer.
The M70 SG with maple stock is a fine rifle. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

My SG Maple is a .308 as is my M70 Featherweight maple.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Winchester '94 SRC in 32 Win Special

Reactions: glockman55

·
Registered
485 Posts
Like most of you, i have several favorites depending on the hunt. My "go to" has always been a Sako AII in .308 Imp 40. I also love my ABolt in .280, Tikka T3 in .308, several 25 caliber rifles......they all wear Leupold 3X9 scopes, some 3X9X40, some 3X9X50. And then the lever action .375 and .45-70....and my .50 cal Hatfield..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Remington M7, 308 Winchester, 20" D&S barrel, free floated. Vortex Crossfire 2-7x.

I do not care for the scope. Have a Leupold VX2 3-9x Ultralight for future use on it.

Likes ultra cheapo Federal Power Shock 150gr. Has dropped deer in their tracks.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
The M70 SG with maple stock is a fine rifle. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

My SG Maple is a .308 as is my M70 Featherweight maple.
Love that featherweight on the right, congratulations on owning a couple of nice rifles.
Always thought one of those in 6.5x55 would be a great western deer rifle.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I've killed and hunted deer with dozens of calibers in many different rifles. I like to spread the hunting around to different guns and certain situations call for different guns.

BUT, the one gun I own, that has never let me down at any range, from any angle, on any deer I've ever squeezed the trigger on is my Remington Model 7 in 260rem shooting 129gr Hornady SP handloads.

I've often said that if it's possible, I'd want to be buried with it because it would provide me with a good rifle for hunting in the afterlife.

This past year, I killed a fat doe while hunting off snowshoes in 30" of snow. The 150yard shot from my knees went right were I aimed and the deer only made it about 25yds.

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
My year model 1986 Winchester (USRA) Model 94AE Ranger 30-30 (pre lawyer "safety").

·
Registered
33 Posts
You got the SG Maple. Very nice- they are so beautiful. I came so close to buying one at Cabelas. Ironically I ended up buying another Marlin 336 instead. I’m a big fan of lever guns, and even though I have a few,will often look to buy another.
Decided to hold off and read a couple of years worth of reviews on the Winny SG Maple. No one has said anything bad so I’m about ready to get one. Enjoy yours,
glad to see you got them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Mine's a Ruger #1 in 308 win, zeiss 1.5 - 6 glass. It's fitted with stainless mounts as ruger blued mounts are as common as rocking horse crap over here.
Speer 165 grn SPBT over N-150 powder in Federal brass at about 2650 fps out of the 26" barrel.
Manages just over 1" 3 shot groups at 100 metres off a tripod with me prone but only if I have someone to help me get up after shooting :rolleyes:.

Attachments

·
Registered
566 Posts
That 88 was quite the find, you should watch the online gunsites for a box, even though it wouldn't be the correct serial number it would add to the value and just be...cool. Unless you already have a box?
No need for a box as this one will never be sold. My son likes it too and knows it's a favorite of mine. We've set up a joint ownership agreement on all our firearms so he doesn't inherit them, they're already his and he can take them to his home when I pass as I could if he did. He'll keep the collection together long after I'm gone.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Mine's a Ruger #1 in 308 win, zeiss 1.5 - 6 glass. It's fitted with stainless mounts as ruger blued mounts are as common as rocking horse crap over here.
Speer 165 grn SPBT over N-150 powder in Federal brass at about 2650 fps out of the 26" barrel.
Manages just over 1" 3 shot groups at 100 metres off a tripod with me prone but only if I have someone to help me get up after shooting :rolleyes:.

my 1973 ruger #1 in 270 win is awful. as a matter of fact, i shot my avatar buck at 12 feet. as you can see, it is NOT a one holer!!!!

140gr hornady sst and imr4350 at 100 yards

130gr nosler bt with imr4320 at 100 yards

;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have to go with My Remington 7mm RUM , I can Hunt Everything with it l There are alot of Woderful Rifle Calibers and Scope Setups out there that alot of Hunters use to bring Deer Home Every Year , My 7 RUM is just Super Accurate .

41 - 60 of 61 Posts