Shooters Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I rotate through all my rifles for hunting but my absolute favorite is my model 1905 Mannlicher Schoenauer. It speaks to me when I carry it. Transports me to another time and place. It fits me like a tailored suit. But I guess I appreciate it most because it didn't come easy. Took me almost 6 months to figure out how to make good reloads for it. I was 58 when it came to me by suprize. I walked into a gun shop and there it was. I picked it up and threw it to my shoulder and worked the bolt. I knew come he'll or high water it was coming home with me. Traded a nice 35 Whelan and cash and it was mine. I can close my eyes and smell and hear Africa when I hold it. No I will not part with it while still breathIng. I have other guns I have killed more game with some that are .it's accurate. By none with half as much soul.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sadly (rifles not allowed for deer hunting) my "favorite" deer rifle is a 54 cal muzzleloader, Italian manufacture. When not hunting deer w/ the muzzleloader, I am using my H&R RIFLED slug gun. I haven't hunted deer w/ my Ruger 77 207Win in many years....

·
Registered
368 Posts
I use a 1935 vintage Winchester model 54 that has been modified to accept a scope and custom stock, The rifle is consistently more accurate than I am shooting mid-velocity Speer 150 grain spbt. It has performed on elk, large mule deer as well as north country whitetails. I am the 3rd generation owner and my son-in-law is all over me for a "living bequest"...ain't going to happen!
Winchester Mod 54 group.jpg

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
mine is a winchester m94 in 35/30-30. JES Reboring did the caliber and i put on a williams fp aperture sight.

i wish to say now my favorite rifle is a husqvarna m46 in 9.3x57 with a 275gr wfn gc and some 4895 and a 2-7x leopold. she has and will gone thru changes(d&t, scope mounts, etc...) but she is mine.

she has to make it to cock on opening(instead of cock on closing) and a true butt pad put on. the COC makes it hard to do with only one hand.(right arm is paralyzed). i should 'glass bed her........
she makes a fine hunting rifle.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I got 3 that I like a lot.
Savage 110e .30-06 with Bushnell 4x
Mauser 1916 sporter .308 with Nikon 2x-7x
Mauser 38 sporter 8mm with Bushnell 4x

61 - 65 of 65 Posts