·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets see what everyones favorites are!

·
Banned
349 Posts
I've owned a .357 which I really enjoied as a close range back up on Goats & pigs (& a couple of camels in thick scrub at close range ) A 44-40 1873 Winchester (about 1920 vintage ) But these days I'm really leaning towards a .44mag as a nice little carry lever as I live in very mountainess country & I'm getting vto Old to carry a heavy Rifle up hill & down Dale :D

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I only have had one and I guess it is my favorite. I certainly spend a lot of time with her. In the morning when I start to leave camp it calls me because it is light and easy to carry. I know I should be taking the 760 pump gun with the AO adjustible large optic sight but sometimes, especially after being in camp a couple days, I have to carry the little lever gun.

Of coarse I am talking about my straight stocked 20 inch barrel, Marlin 1894 in 44 mag. It has a Banner 1.5 X 4.5 wide angle on it (thanks to Ranch Dog's owner) and it is shooting the lead rounds better every outing thanks to Marshall's firelapping and load developement help.

I am pretty proud of the group at the bottom right. With some trigger work I will get ride of those flyers and then the precission match can begin.

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
A Marlin 1894C .357 mag. Ammo is dirt cheap, recoil is very light, enough power to take medium game at reasonable ranges... It's just about the perfect bumming around rifle.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just saw pics of a SS Puma 92 in .454 Catsul with a 16" barrel. Would be a sweet companion to my SS 5 1/2" Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt. I also have a couple of .41 Mag handguns that would make an excellent combo cartridge. Hard decision.

George

·
Registered
250 Posts
imashooter2 said:
A Marlin 1894C .357 mag. Ammo is dirt cheap, recoil is very light, enough power to take medium game at reasonable ranges... It's just about the perfect bumming around rifle.
Amen brother. I like the calibre in my DW revolver anyway, but it's a completely different (even better) round in my 1894.
My .22LR and .22WMR are bolt-action, I must get Win 9422s in each calibre soon before they become scarce, I expect that I'll love them too, particularly the .22WMR.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I'm a 45 caliber fan- 45 LC and 454 Casull and when I'm hunting with them my SRH is packed with same ammo as the lever!! Ten rounds in the tube and six on my hip is all I'll ever need! Unless I come up against the Mongol hords! Dam where's that box of ammo!!:)

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
4-28-2002!!!!!!
WOW talk about diggin' up an old thread!

My favorite is a 45 colt Winnie Trapper~

·
Banned
19 Posts
Favorite Pistol Caliber Lever Action

Mine is my Rossi lever action in 357 Magnum good out to 170 yards if using a rest. Totally reliable with my handloads.
17 grns of H110 behind a Lyman 358477 Cast bullet. Doesn't like feeding the Lee bullets. I use 3% solder to harden bullets. No serious leading and good accuracy.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Dave H said:
I've owned a .357 which I really enjoied as a close range back up on Goats & pigs (& a couple of camels in thick scrub at close range ) A 44-40 1873 Winchester (about 1920 vintage ) But these days I'm really leaning towards a .44mag as a nice little carry lever as I live in very mountainess country & I'm getting vto Old to carry a heavy Rifle up hill & down Dale :D

What do you do with a camel after you shoot it?

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
.357/44 B&D on a pre WWII Marlin 1894 with 180 grain Hornady JTC-Sil at 2200 FPS. out of an 18" barrel.

Before someone groans about my butchering a good 1894, let me say that it is a take down and the original 38-40 take down barrel and mag tube are still useable. (Had a devil of a time finding another frame extension.)

Lee L.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My favorite pistol caliber rifle is the model 1892 Marlin in .32 Colt! A neat little package of a .32 Colt based on Marlin's little .22 frame, with a heavier barrel and bolt. Quick handling, accurate, lightweight, and great looking.
The middle gun in this picture is my 1892 in .32, and the one below it is the same one in .22 for comparison.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,226 Posts
flashhole said:
What do you do with a camel after you shoot it?

Run... preferrably upwind!!!! :eek:

:D

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Rinaldo said:
You gentlemen take down Deer with teh 357?
I have done it with both a rifle, and a handgun. Just have to get within 50-75 yards and place your shot. While stationed in Utah, I even used a 32-20 in a 1896 Manufactured Marlin Model 1894, and the .357 has a lot more going for it than the 32-20.

If you noticed in my last post, I prefer the .357/44 Bain & Davis. With the 180 grain projectile it has almost as much knock down as a .35 Remington, and is equal in preformance to the 30-30.

Lee L.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,226 Posts
Rinaldo said:
You gentlemen take down Deer with teh 357?
Yup, works great! :D

I use the Beartooth 185 FNGC bullet, over a heapin' helpin' of WW296, and it'll do the job from a Ruger Blackhawk.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts