Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a huge fan of the 17m2 cal for small game. My favorite rifle is a Rem 511 bolt with a 6 shot mag. It's bored out and relined to 17m2, drilled and tapped for a 6x18x50 Tasco. The socpe is a bit much for the woods but if youo are in the trees and can get your xhairs on a sqrl, he's pure toast. With 2 pecan groves on our prop, sqrl patrol is a favorite pastime.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Mine are a Ruger 10/22 .22LR and a Ruger 10/22 Magnum. Best I've found for my kind of hunting, and the most accurate with the Velocitors and some CCI +V for the Magnum.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
Two that come to mind:
A Marlin 99...the predesessor to the 60.
And a Browning Buckmark rifle, heavy barrel with fixed 4x scope.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
BSA Martini Mod 15. Just pull the 28" heavy target barrel/w forearm and install the 20" light weight barrel/w forearm, then good to go.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Is there such a thing as a "bean field" rimfire? Pretty much all of my rimfires are meant for use at woods ranges. :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Those Speedmasters were great! I cleaned a couple that were so dirty you could grow potatoes but they kept right on working.

My favorite squirrel gun is a Marlin 39M with a Williams Foolproof aperture sight.

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
Not an original, a taurus copy...but haven't had a bit of trouble and no accuracy problems. Scope would be a better choice for most people, but i just prefer the iron for woods loafing.

·
Banned
421 Posts
Oh boy! What a tough choice! I guess #1 is my Win 9422, and my S&W model 18 is a great companion to it.
I just picked up a new long distance squirrel getter that I think will top them all though. It's a Cooper Jackson Squirrel Rifle in 17 HMR. I intend to mount the scope on it today. I have a Leupold 2-7 rimfire for it that should be a nice light choice with plenty of power to get me out to 100 yards.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Not an original, a taurus copy...but haven't had a bit of trouble and no accuracy problems. Scope would be a better choice for most people, but i just prefer the iron for woods loafing.
Nice little toy, isn't it? I picked up the stainless model a couple of years back, and have never been disappointed with it. It's not as smooth as my original Winchester, but it isn't as old so it can't be worn in the same either. Don't know what the wood is, but it is definitly heavier than Walnut.

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
Was quite surprised that i'd had no issues from day one, as i've grown to expect some problems with clones. Has it's prefercnes in ammo, but hasn't miss fed a round yet.

Wife uses another "clone', and this one needed a tune-up/rebuilding from the ground up to get it to run like a sewing machine (which it does now). She occasionally will join me for a loaf-though-the woods (where if we shoot a squirrel,fine...if we don't, that's fine too):

1 - 20 of 103 Posts