Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an IPSC shooter who shoots an M1911A1 Colt in .45 ACP caliber. I am using 225 grain flat point bullets by West Coast and have had good success using Winchester 231 and Super Field powders, however I feel they are somewhat dirty. Are there other powders which I should consider? Any information would be appreciated.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,227 Posts
231 is pretty clean in my experience (ever tried Unique?) - the 'crud' that ends up on the gun is often from the bullet lube. Have you tried your same load with jacketed bullets instead of cast, for comparison? If the bullet lube is 'dirty' there is going to be a limit on what you can accomplish with powders.

·
Banned
65 Posts
I like Unique and use it exclusively for .45 ACP jacketed bullets, but one of my shooting buddies switched from Unique to Hodgdon's Universal Clays a couple of years ago and really likes it. He claims the same level of accuracy with Universal as with Unique, but says it's cleaner. He hasn't consistantly outshot me since he switched, but his gun does appear to be cleaner. I'll don't mind spending the extra time cleaning my gun, and the "new" Unique is supposed to be "cleaner" than the old.

For cast lead bullets in the .45 ACP I have found Red Dot to be extremely consistant (and clean), but I keep velocities to levels which will just make the power factor requirements.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I second the nomination of Hodgon Universal. much cleaner than Unique or Bullseye, and does a real fine job. I have used it with a variety of calibers, and have not the first complaint.

Good Shooting.

Steve

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
All the powders listed shoot clean in my P90- with Bullseye shooting the cleanest of all of them-haven't used Clays. I guess it's a personnal thing! Then again I don't shoot as much you competitors either.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I don't find the 231 to be dirty at all. Most of the gunk, as stated in a previous post, is from the bullet lube. I've got over 25 different powders for rifle, shotgun,and handgun that I play with, but the only thing that goes in my 45's is 231. It also works great for many other cartridges loaded to target velocities. I don't shoot competition with that 45 anymore, but I still shoot 6-7000 rounds a year of it, and would be dissapointed if 231 where no longer available.

·
Banned
585 Posts
My Thompson in .45 ACP used to start jamming after 90 - 100 rounds. When I started loading up with HS6 the problem dissapeard. From that point on the only thing I use to load my .45acp pistols, revolvers or Thompson with is HS6.

Another reason is that it meters so well in my Dillon press. :O)

·
Registered
479 Posts
45acp powders

I too am an uspsa shooter and have found that the combination of 231 and cast bullets to be filthy. I switched to sr4756 with 185gr bullets and remedied the problem. Something that I have found is lower velocity, cast bullets and certain powders are filthy due to a melt of the bullet lube. For instance in my 40 with 180gr cast bullets at a power factor of 190 the gun shot clean under the new power factor I'm shooting 174 and the gun is filthy. Same powder and same bullet manufacturer and bullet.I have changed to a lighter bullet and increased the velocity to help this problem with success. You may also want to try the new titegroup a lot of local guys are running that in 45 and 40.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Hmmm I must be a slob

I load up my 45 ammo with Bullseye or 231 with 200 grain swc and go shoot all day. I never seem to have difficulty with carbon or bullet lube. I'm shooting a tuned up Gold Cup.
After I finish shooting I drop the gun, muzzle first, into a bucket of Ed's Red, leaving the grips out of the solution. After 10 to 20 minutes, depending on when the bragging and lying stops I wipe it off, swamp out the barrel and chamber area and put it away.
I will admit to using carb cleaner to blast out the frame from time to time and relube it. That's all it gets!
Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts