Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sept is "vintage stuff" sale month in Indian Lake NY. Vendors come from far and wide and set up tables all through town. Yesterday was a big find day. A full box of vintage 32-40 to go with my circa 1904 mod 94. The other was a box of 1000 Fed 205 small rifle primers and the reason for posting here. Currently I load 300 Hamr and 6.8spc with magnum small rifle primers. I know these are not magnum but bought anyway as a just in case purchase since components are so hard to get these days. If needed to use them for 556/300hamr/6.8 in an AR rifle would I be that be to risky for slam fires

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,885 Posts
Federal being basic compound, is easier to have things go awry if they don't have the anvil height for "mil spec" sensitivity.

·
Super Moderator
13,747 Posts
Note that the anvil trick for lowering sensitivity is CCI's only. Federal's military sensitivity match primer (GM205MAR, the AR meaning it is intended for AR-style self-loaders) lowers sensitivity to fit the military H-test requirements by using a thicker cup (according to the email they sent me when I asked them about it).

Federal does not make a magnum SR primer, so you can infer they feel their standard SR primer will handle both magnum and standard ignition requirements.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts