Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a batch of "once fired" 44 mag cases from a range. I cleaned them and ran them through the de-primer sizer die. Re primed, charged and began to load 250 Keith style bullets. All was well until I placed a bullet in a case and it fell down onto the powder. My initial assumption was that the bullet was undersized so I tried several more with the same results. Over the course of the next 20 rounds or so this happened 3 more times. I looked at the head stamp, thinking I might have some off the wall sized case. They were all Federal 44 Mags.
Is this brass so tough that it can spring back from the sizing die?
What's going on?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,413 Posts
Jim,

What's the tale of the tape? Measure some cases (fired, sized, expanded), and some bullets with your calipers/micrometer and let us know what you find. Also the inside of the sizing ring on the die, and the diameter of the expander plug.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike, all I can say is "well duh".
They say everyone that reloads will make a mistake. I hope this was mine because it didn't hurt me or the gun.
Take a 45 cal sizing/depriming die and a 44 cal shell holder.
Works real easy but doesn't change the outside diameter of the cases at all.
I don't know how I got ahold of that die because I don't even have a 45 anymore.
I assume the Federal cases were shot from a gun that has big chambers because they are noticably larger than the others.
Anyhow I oiled the primers, resized the cases and they work fine.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, DOK.
That storys not funny, it borders on stupid!!!!

·
36,413 Posts
Yeah, but sizing the cases is sure a breeze!

No major casualties. Live and learn. Get a .45 to go with that die!!!!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MikeG
You got one for sale? I got the dies and know how to use them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike,
I pulled all of the bullets from the unsized cases and I'm glad I did. I had almost 0 bullet pull. Even with a deep crimp on a Keith style bullet, it only took a little "whack" to slip the bullets out of the case. I guess there could have been a problem.

Different subject: I see some loading info pages that reccomend a Mag primer for all Mag loadings, others only use Mag Primers on H110 and w296. Any opinions on that?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I use mag primers for slow and hard to ignite powders like 110/296. I have used standard primers for everything else including AA#9 and bluedot. From what I gather, most people use standard primers with 2400 as well. Oh, I load for a 41 mag.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
twillis,
I've been reloading for less than a year but that seems to be the conventional wisdom, so that is what I've done.
But, <http://www.again.net/~steve/page8a.htm> shows CCI 350s for all powders in the .44 mag loads. Just wondering if he knew something I needed to learn.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Generally it doesn't hurt to use the mag primer except that they are wee-bit more expensive. Steve has a good bit of experience and will respond to e-mail questions. You can e-mail him at: [email protected]

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Jim,

For the 44mag, I will load approx. 6000/yr and I have used the CCI 350 mag. primer for all loads and have never had a problem. Literature indicates, as you indicated, that H110 and W296 likes/needs the mag primer for proper ignition. I've also used the Winchester primer (WLP) that indicates it's good for all loads and powders, including the H110/W296 stuff, and again, I've never had a problem with the Winchester "WLP" primer.

I found that many of the Freedom Arms shooters that posted here also indicated the WLP primer produced good results with their magnum level loads.

Soooooooo, while I use both CCI 350 and Win., I do make sure I don't mix them. This is not due to safety factors, but to point of aim variation between primers. I remember how surprised I was when I tested five different primers, that my point of aim results varied by as much as 1.5" at only 25yds.

Dan

·
36,413 Posts
Jim,

I use WLP with WW296 in the .44 mag and .45 Colt. No problems, and Winchester notes on the box that it is for 'Standard or Magnum loads."

In your neck of the woods, in Sprinfield for a few days. Didn't bring any .45's, though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts