Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a group of guys who frequent the cast bullets page on shooterstalk.com.  Looks like a large group of guys have been experimenting trying to find a replacement for LBT blue.  Cool thing is they make it at home with common ingredients.  Has anyone tried?  They use it by hand, cool it into sticks for lubers and pan lube with it.  

·
Banned
67 Posts
Felix lube. great stuff! Consist of beeswax, lanolin,mineral oil, sodium stearate[ivory soap],castor oil and parafin[optional]. You got to mix the two oils over heat and add slivers off the soap; mix 1/2 hour[?] add tbsp lanolin and beeswax. add parafin to stiffen. Goes something like that if I remember. Try to look it up and get the recipe. Read it first. I wouldn`t be shooting cast if it wasnt for the lube. 50/50 Alox and beeswax is the only other lube I found that works. I made my molds out of pvc pipe and wooden dowels. hope I helped.

·
Registered
10 Posts
MattC said:
There is a group of guys who frequent the cast bullets page on shooterstalk.com.  Looks like a large group of guys have been experimenting trying to find a replacement for LBT blue.  Cool thing is they make it at home with common ingredients.  Has anyone tried?  They use it by hand, cool it into sticks for lubers and pan lube with it.  

Hey Matt,

Check out this link for info on Felix lube.

http://www.castpics.net/RandD/felix_lube/felix_lube.htm

More info than you can stand!

Good luck.

Joe K

·
Registered
35 Posts
Felix lube

leadlum said:
Felix lube. great stuff! Consist of beeswax, lanolin,mineral oil, sodium stearate[ivory soap],castor oil and parafin[optional]. You got to mix the two oils over heat and add slivers off the soap; mix 1/2 hour[?] add tbsp lanolin and beeswax. add parafin to stiffen. Goes something like that if I remember. Try to look it up and get the recipe. Read it first. I wouldn`t be shooting cast if it wasnt for the lube. 50/50 Alox and beeswax is the only other lube I found that works. I made my molds out of pvc pipe and wooden dowels. hope I helped.
Hi . This is not a query on Felix lube as such , but on your lube moulding technique . Does the lube stick to the dowel , and if so , how do you prevent this from happening ? i've been mixing my lube in a saucepan , cooling it and then breaking it up into chunks and then packing it into a lubrisizer as required . I would like to try moulding the lube with p.v.c. pipe and wooden dowels as you describe , and would appreciate any and all advice to enable me to do so .

Rgds

·
Registered
35 Posts
Felix lube

Stan Douglas said:
Hi . This is not a query on Felix lube as such , but on your lube moulding technique . Does the lube stick to the dowel , and if so , how do you prevent this from happening ? i've been mixing my lube in a saucepan , cooling it and then breaking it up into chunks and then packing it into a lubrisizer as required . I would like to try moulding the lube with p.v.c. pipe and wooden dowels as you describe , and would appreciate any and all advice to enable me to do so .

Rgds

Pls disregard my previous query of today re the above --- I got the answers from the Felix lube post .

Rgds

·
Registered
789 Posts
You could just pour the molten lube into the lube-sizer and skip the moulding of sticks altogether. That is the way I fill up my Lyman lube-sizer, as I have a bunch of beeswax-Alox that came in bars. When I am empty, I melt some more and pour it in.

·
Banned
106 Posts
I use two lubes. Its either the homemade World Famous Felix lube recipie or Lee liquid alox. If its got lube grooves and not a Lee tumble lube cast bullet design I use Felix lube exclusivley. I do add just enough blue crayola crayon to color my lube. Besides that, I stick to the recipe.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Stan Douglas said:
Pls disregard my previous query of today re the above --- I got the answers from the Felix lube post .

Rgds

Stan Douglas - I have found it easiest to pour the molten lube right into the sizer. Sottre excess in a margarine tub and melt in microwave for additions to sizer as needed.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I use alot of felix. Its a real good lube. I tend now to use a variation of it because its a little soft for warm weather and bullet storage. I mix felix and magma blue at 3/4 felix 1/4 magma and replace about 1/4 of the beeswax with alox. A guy can firm it up wiht paraphin wax too but my thoughts are that if im going to add anything to a lube it should itself be a lube. Same behind the theroy or replacing some of the beeswax with alox. Beeswax and alox are about the same consistancy and alox is a lube. Ive found no better overall lube then this for lubrication and long term storage of bullets. I make it by the 3 lb coffee can full and melt it with a propane torch and pour it directly into the star. Sticks of lube are a big headache in the star and allow trapped air in them and it can be a pain.
tomf52 said:
Stan Douglas - I have found it easiest to pour the molten lube right into the sizer. Sottre excess in a margarine tub and melt in microwave for additions to sizer as needed.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't know if I'm lubing the right way but I started using high temp lithium grease and just rub the grease on the lube grooves and then immediately seat the bullet. The bullet I use, the lube grooves and bearing surfaces are below the crimp grove so I can lube and keep the bullet head clean. It's not very fancy but with this technique I have zero leading. At the end of shooting I run a patch or two of Hoppes #9 through the barrel and and the barrel is shiny clean. In the past I have had major leading problems and one of the reasons was that I shot commercial cast bullets and trusted their lube, big mistake. Now, I use Super-Tech Extreme Pressure Multi-Duty Complex. The ingredients are paraffinic oil, heavy mineral oil, and lithium soap. It mixes well with paraffin and beeswax but with my loads I continue to use the lithium grease alone and get no leading. It's cheap ($2.25 per can), very slippery, and a nice sapphire red in color.

Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Stan Douglas said:

Rgds

This site has some good illustrations and instructions for molding lube. I think some paste wax on the dowels would prevent sticking.

http://www.castingstuff.com/lead_smelter_and_lube_making.htm

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi there and thank you to all who provided advice in answer to my query re moulding lube sticks for my lubrisizer . Over the last month I have tried pan lubing and found it to unbelievably easier than lubrisizing . Warm weather starting soon , so we'll see how well the process works over summer .
Thanks again . Stan Douglas

·
Registered
176 Posts
if your using something like pvc for lube molds coat it with pam and let the sticks sit all night in the freezer before you try to get the stick to release from the mold. Stan i cant see how pan lubbing could possibly be easier then a lube sizer for sizing bullets. to me its just a big mess. I works well with black powder bullets becasue a little extra lube on the bases and sides is no big deal but by the time you spend wiping lube off in places it isnt suppose to be and also taking into account that unless your sizin them afterward your counting on your gun having a preference for unsized bullets and alot of them dont. I use a star sizer and its very fast but id bet a dime to a million dollars that in the ammount of time it takes to melt lube place the bullets in the lube cool the lube and break the bullets out and wipe them down i can use a lyman sizer and do a hundred times more bullets in the same time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts