Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading about ffffg priming powder im a littel new to black powder and just ordered my first flintlock. I use pyrodexand have plenty of 2f and 3f powder and some trippel seven in 2f and 3f I haven't got my rifel yet and I like to study and I have a littel im a safe gun owner and im not scared to use a bowl and the end of a plastic screw driver to make some 3f a littel finer well in to powder just a small amount at a time.would you use the trippel 7 3f or pyrodex 3f from what I take just 3f works fine like it is am I correct.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Pyrodex or Triple 7 may have ignition problems in your flintlock. The problems would be slower ignition time or possibly no ignition at all. Black powder works better for flintlocks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pyrodex or Triple 7 may have ignition problems in your flintlock. The problems would be slower ignition time or possibly no ignition at all. Black powder works better for flintlocks.
I cant get black powder

·
Registered
576 Posts
Pyrodex 3F should work. I believe the reason that finer powder is used is not to increase the chance of ignition, but to increase the speed of the ignition traveling to the primary load.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pyrodex 3F should work. I believe the reason that finer powder is used is not to increase the chance of ignition, but to increase the speed of the ignition traveling to the primary load.
Well ill find out i order my first flint lock it well be here in a few days thank you black powder is a thing of the pass were I live it cost to much to store it and order it when pyrodex works as well cheaper safer.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Well ill find out i order my first flint lock it well be here in a few days thank you black powder is a thing of the pass were I live it cost to much to store it and order it when pyrodex works as well cheaper safer.
If you don't mind me asking, where do you live and what regulations keep you from having black powder or create a storage cost issue.

Graf has anything you might need in stock.

·
Registered
580 Posts
If you can't get real black powder, maybe Pyrodex or Tripple 7 will work. I personally detest Pyrodex. I had ignition problems in a side lock years ago. Switched to Goex 2f and magically problems are gone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you don't mind me asking, where do you live and what regulations keep you from having black powder or create a storage cost issue.

Graf has anything you might need in stock.
I live in salina KS the gun shops stopped saying it they can only store 4lbs at once in there stores they have to have other permits it costs more so they haven't had it in years

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I live in salina KS the gun shops stopped saying it they can only store 4lbs at once in there stores they have to have other permits it costs more so they haven't had it in years
Pyrodex is cheaper more stable safer i would have to order it out of state and pay for hasmate and hight shipping fees.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Pyrodex is cheaper more stable safer i would have to order it out of state and pay for hasmate and hight shipping fees.
Yes. More stable. That is exactly why it does not work work reliably in a flintlock. As for the high prices. $21.29 for a lb of powder. Pyrodex is 19.99 a lb.
From Graf, the shipping is a flat rate of 9.95 and 12.50 for the haz mat. If you buy 4 lbs, the total cost comes out to about $30.
Anyway, it sounds like you already knew the answers. If you are OK with some hangfires and misfires, Pyrodex will work just fine. For me, I would pay the extra $10 lb.
Lastly, I have never had any issues storing black powder. I have treated it like any other powder and have not had any bad powder and have managed not to blow myself up. The stuff used to be setting on the shelf everywhere when I was a kid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes. More stable. That is exactly why it does not work work reliably in a flintlock. As for the high prices. $21.29 for a lb of powder. Pyrodex is 19.99 a lb.
From Graf, the shipping is a flat rate of 9.95 and 12.50 for the haz mat. If you buy 4 lbs, the total cost comes out to about $30.
Anyway, it sounds like you already knew the answers. If you are OK with some hangfires and misfires, Pyrodex will work just fine. For me, I would pay the extra $10 lb.
Lastly, I have never had any issues storing black powder. I have treated it like any other powder and have not had any bad powder and have managed not to blow myself up. The stuff used to be setting on the shelf everywhere when I was a kid.
I appreciate your wisdom. I'm new to this iv just been looking at videos and the net from her I sho I ld be able to get some ffffg tomorrow from a member of the group that just for ignition ill let you no how it goes

·
Registered
284 Posts
Frustration on the way......

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,469 Posts
A marble rolling pin on a marble (or granite) countertop makes FFFFg out of any size black powder with no risk of sparks.

RJ

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Like flinter’s, but real black powder has become a lot harder to come by….and so far, at LEAST the pan seems to need it to shoot well. Really quick pan flash seems to help.

Use so little 4F that that pound should last a long long time, We aren’t laying a powder trail, it’s the flash that jumps though the vent. Depednign on the rifle/lock, as little as 5-7gr. of 4F pan powder worked reliably (and fast)….so call it 1000 pans per pound.

You might find that with 4F, it will set off a main charge of a substitute powder reliably. Haven’t tried all the black substitute powders.

Worst case, 4F in the pan and just enough 3F (or 2F) down the bore to cover the vent (maybe as little as 10-15gr.) and then the black-substitute powder as the rest of the main charge.

Get a dispensation with the big smooth bore musket types and their giant locks/large flints. Are huge for a reason. Will set off nearly anything that burns and tend to have large vents. Accuracy wasn’t there thing, reliability above all else was.

If you got to….and can only find FFg or FFFG….can shift out the small bits. Even with non-metalic sieves, can still get static electricity, so it’s not something I recommend...but have risked my own neck that way. Will convince you that really fine black powder does make a much better/less lag time shot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like to do things right ill use this gun powder for the flash pan and my 3f trippel 7 down the bore im not happy I ordered my flintlock from midway USA I only 400 miles frome them I payed extra money to get it next day buy united parcel next day they billed me the extra but sent it uses now its 600 miles away in st Louise and has not moved now it well be next week if im lucky you cant talk to them only chat. Bull ****.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Is that myth about static electricity and black powder still breathing? It should be buried so deep by now it could never be resurrected

1 - 20 of 32 Posts